PhD scholarships in Cell Factory Development - Denmark
- Three PhD positions are available in the Molecular Cell Biology Group at Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine.
- The department conducts research, educates future bio-engineers, provides scientific advice and innovates within the areas of microbiology, biochemistry, biotechnology and bio-medicine.
- The research at Bio-engineering is at the highest international level and focuses on the societal and scientific challenges within the field.
- Research is conducted within three main areas: Microbial ecology and physiology, Industrial biotechnology and cell factories, and Bio-medicine and health.
- The department has extensive collaboration with national and international research units and industries.
- Our university has approx. 150 employees, of which 2/3 is scientific staff.
Responsibilities and tasks
- The candidate will be part of a larger project, DIVERSIFY, aiming at using biodiversity as a basis for cell factory construction.
- The project is funded by the Danish Innovation Foundation.
- Using a synthetic biology based strategy; the candidate will be responsible for implementing pathways for a range of model compounds in yeasts and filamentous fungi.
- The three PhDs will focus on fungal production on metabolites, industrial enzymes, and therapeutic peptides, respectively; but are expected to work together as a team.
The successful candidate should have:
- A master’s degree in engineering or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to the master's degree in engineering
- A strong background in fungal cell biology and metabolism
- Solid experience within genetic engineering
- Experience with gene expression
- Experience with fermentation will be an advantage
- Collaborative skills
Approval and Enrolment
The scholarships for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval, and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of our university.
For information about the general requirements for enrollment and the general planning of the scholarship studies.
- We offer an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, scientific advice and innovation, which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare.
- We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility.
- The Technical University is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and appointment terms
The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for PhD degree students. The period of employment is 3 years.
- The Department of Biotechnology and Bio-medicine addresses challenges of societal and scientific importance within biotechnology, biomedicine, food technology and human health. The department is based on both basic and applied research and employs tools from biochemistry, biophysics, chemistry, cellular biology, immunology, microbial ecology and physiology, bioinformatics and bio-engineering.
- The department runs four technology platforms providing state-of-the-art capabilities in fermentation and high-throughput screening, mass spectrometry based metabolomics, proteomics and genomics
- The department hosts senior and junior faculty members and post-doctoral fellows, PhD students and technical/administrative personnel, around 150 in total.
- In addition to bachelor, master and PhD education, collaborative research and innovation together with national and international universities and industries is given high priority at the department.
- Our university is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice.
- Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,300 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future.
- Our university is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.