PhD scholarship "The Reception of Foreign Literatures in British Romantic Periodicals" - Belgium
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- This project pursues a quantitative, critical and comparative analysis of the reception and translation of non-British cultures in major British Romantic periodicals that dominated the literary, cultural, scientific and economic debates in Britain during the first two decades of the 19th century.
- Key questions that will be addressed are: what is the position of foreign texts/cultures in these periodicals, to what extent are they indicative of a transnational function and orientation of these periodicals, and how are they integrated in the larger ideological strategies of the latter?
- Addressing a largely neglected dimension of British Romantic periodical culture, the project combines methodological insights from reception studies, periodical studies, sociology of literature and discourse analysis, and cultural transfer and translation studies.
- a Master’s degree (or equivalent qualification) in a relevant field, such as English, Western, or Comparative Literature
- an outstanding academic record
- excellent writing and speaking skills in English
- additional knowledge of other languages (esp. French and German) is a plus
- an aptitude for original, independent, and creative work, both individually and as part of a team
- We offer a full-time PhD position
- The project is fully funded by the University and runs for a period of 4 years.
- The successful applicant will pursue a PhD
- The researcher will work in close collaboration with both junior and senior researchers at the Center for Reception Studies and the Research Unit English Literature of the University. S/he will be based at the Brussels Campus.
- The project provides funding for participation in international conferences, consultation of archives and other research activities