This job is currently Archived,
PhD scholarship "The Reception of Foreign Literatures in British Romantic Periodicals" Leuven Belgium,
KU Leuven (company)
Posted on : 19 June 2017
- This project pursues a quantitative, critical and comparative analysis of the reception and translation of non-British cultures in major British Romantic periodicals that dominated the literary, cultural, scientific and economic debates in Britain during the first two decades of the 19th century.
- Key questions that will be addressed are: what is the position of foreign texts/cultures in these periodicals, to what extent are they indicative of a transnational function and orientation of these periodicals, and how are they integrated in the larger ideological strategies of the latter?
- Addressing a largely neglected dimension of British Romantic periodical culture, the project combines methodological insights from reception studies, periodical studies, sociology of literature and discourse analysis, and cultural transfer and translation studies.
Candidates should have:
- a Master s degree (or equivalent qualification) in a relevant field, such as English, Western, or Comparative Literature
- an outstanding academic record
- excellent writing and speaking skills in English
- additional knowledge of other languages (esp. French and German) is a plus
- an aptitude for original, independent, and creative work, both individually and as part of a team
- We offer a full-time PhD position
- The project is fully funded by the University and runs for a period of 4 years.
- The successful applicant will pursue a PhD
- The researcher will work in close collaboration with both junior and senior researchers at the Center for Reception Studies and the Research Unit English Literature of the University. S/he will be based at the Brussels Campus.
- The project provides funding for participation in international conferences, consultation of archives and other research activities
3000 Leuven Belgium
Find a Job Find Candidates