This job is currently Archived,
PhD scholarship in Metagenomics analysis and systems biology - Denmark
DTU Bioengineering (company)
Posted on : 25 June 2017
- A 3 year PhD position is available in the Disease Systems Immunology Group at Department of Biotechnology and Bio-medicine, with focus on meta genomics analysis.
- The PhD will be enrolled on the JPI ERA HDHL project BioFN: Bio markers in Infant Fat Mass Development and Nutrition, which aim to identify early biomarkers related to obesity in children based on novel bio-marker discovery and systems biology analysis.
Responsibilities and tasks
- We are looking for a talented colleague who can carry out independent research, and take active part in collaborations with a highly qualified team of dedicated postdocs, PhD students and technical personnel.
- The person will be working in close collaboration with several project partners including the Danish based company Clinical-Microbiomics.
- The main task of the PhD candidate will be to perform systems biological analysis of microbiome, metabolome and clinical data from several infant cohorts. In addition, the PhD is expected to take part in the development of bioinformatics methods and infrastructure for analyzing the infant microbiome.
Candidates should have a master's degree in engineering or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to the master's degree in engineering.
- MSc in bioinformatics or equivalent
- experience in WGA microbiome analysis
- experience with programing and statistics
- experience with microbiome bioinformatics analysis
- good communication skills
- excellent command of English (written and spoken)
Approval and Enrollment
- The scholarships for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval, and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of our company.
- For information about the general requirements for enrollment and the general planning of the scholarship studies, please see the company guide.
- We offer an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, scientific advice and innovation, which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility.
- Our university is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and appointment terms
The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for PhD degree students. The period of employment is 3 years.
- The Department of Biotechnology and Bio-medicine addresses challenges of societal and scientific importance within biotechnology, bio-medicine, food technology and human health. The department is based on both basic and applied research and employs tools from biochemistry, biophysics, chemistry, cellular biology, immunology, microbial ecology and physiology, bioinformatics and bio-engineering.
- The department runs four technology platforms providing state-of-the-art capabilities in fermentation and high-throughput screening, mass spectrometry based metabolism, proteomics and genomics.
- The department hosts senior and junior faculty members and post-doctoral fellows, PhD students and technical/administrative personnel, around 170 in total.
- In addition to bachelor, master and PhD education, collaborative research and innovation together with national and international universities and industries is given high priority at the department.
- The project partner Clinical-Microbiomics is a world-leading contract research organization specialized in microbiome analysis.
- Through deep-sequencing and tailor-made bioinformatics analysis and tools, we assist partners across pharmaceutical, food, nutritional, agricultural industries and academia to extract key biological insights from microbiome research.
- Our university is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice.
- Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,300 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future.
- Our university is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.