This job is currently Archived,
PhD scholarship in Marine Bacterial Biotechnology - Denmark
DTU Bioengineering (company)
Posted on : 05 July 2017
- Department for Biotechnology and Bio medicine covers microbial ecology and physiology, industrial biotechnology and bio medicine and health.
- The department consists of approx. 25 faculty and more than 80 PhD students and postdocs.
- The PhD project will be part of the Bacterial Ecology and Biotechnology Research group headed by Professor Lone Gram.
- The group works on control of pathogenic bacteria (human and fish pathogens) by classical means (antibiotics) but also by using novel compounds either produced chemically (peptoids) or bioprospected from marine bacteria.
- Marine fish probiotic bacteria and novel bioactive compounds from marine bacteria are focus areas of the group.
- The department will from January 1st 2018 host a new Center of Excellence funded by the Danish National Research Foundation.
- The Center for Microbial Secondary Metabolites, CeMiSt, will be lead by Professor Lone Gram.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Enhancing antibiotic discover by induction of silent gene clusters in marine bacteria.
- We are seeking a candidate to study how natural substrates and bioactive elicitors affect the production of bioactive compounds in marine bacteria.
- The aim of the project is to unlock hitherto silent gene clusters involved in synthesis of antimicrobial compounds, to identify and characterize the compounds, and to unravel regulatory mechanisms involved in antimicrobial activity.
- We have previously demonstrated that chitin influences the production of both enzymes and secondary metabolites in a few strains and the purpose of this PhD project is expand this and determine if for instance secondary metabolites from one marine bacteria can induce bioactive gene clusters in another marine bacteria.
- The project is funded by the Danish Research Council for Technology and Production and will involve close collaboration with other bacteriologists as well as scientists specializing in natural product chemistry, including extraction and structure elucidation.
- We are looking for a candidate with a solid background in bacteriology and with experience in molecular bacteriology, bacterial ecophysiology and classical bacteriology. Applicants with previous experience with marine bacteria, secondary metabolites, bioactivity measurements and cloning and expression in heterologous hosts will be preferred.
Candidates should have a master's degree in engineering or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to the master's degree in engineering.
Approval and Enrollment
- The scholarships for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval, and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of our company
- We offer an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, scientific advice and innovation, which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility.
- Our university is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and appointment terms
- The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for PhD degree students. The period of employment is 3 years.
- The PhD student will be expected to spend time abroad when a suitable host laboratory has been identified.