This job is currently Archived,
PhD Scholarship in Abrasive wear modeling for agricultural tools - Belgium
Ghent University (company)
Posted on : 02 June 2017
PhD Scholarship: Abrasive wear modeling for agricultural tools
- Unique opportunity to perform interdisciplinary research in mechanical and materials engineering
- Work at a leading scientific institution in Europe with dedicated professionals
- Offering outstanding career development and professional support
- The Tribology research group at Soete Laboratory in the Department of Electrical Energy, Metals, Mechanical Construction and Systems (EEMMeCS) of University is seeking to appoint a highly motivated PhD-student who will develop abrasive wear models for agricultural tools.
- The research group at University has a first class track record in tribology and machine elements and is embedded in the Metal Structures Center that hosts over 200 researchers and technicians active in tribology, fracture mechanics, fatigue, plasticity, stability of structures, joining techniques and corrosion.
- The aim of the project is to gain knowledge on abrasion process experienced by the wear parts in agricultural tools.
- The fundamental knowledge will be used further to study different materials and thereby ranking them for increased lifetime.
- The proposed project aims to characterize the friction and wear properties of different material grades used as wear parts in agricultural application.
- In the process of tribological characterization, test methodology is to be developed for impact abrasion condition.
- Beside conventional variables the research will define the parameter characteristics (morphology, topography, microstructure) for ranking the wear properties in impact abrasion.
- The PhD-job offered mainly aims at developing experimental macroscopic wear models.
- The input and output parameters to wear characterization is to be studied from the real components. Hence the set variables for lab scale testing are expected to be close to field conditions of wear parts that will have to be inventoried prior to defining the test program.
- High-end techniques such as in-situ monitoring of moving surfaces is to be implemented for understanding the particle generation process in (impact) abrasion.
- The obtained experimental data will then be correlated to real scale testing and microscopic models that will be developed at partner institutes.
- Integrating both models should allow to draw conclusions about the influence and role of material characteristics on its abrasive resistance.
- A highly motivated candidate with a strong academic record and a master degree in the field of mechanical engineering.
- Equally important is that you show a true passion for technology and engineering.
- Previous research experience and/or demonstrations of out-of-the-box thinking are a plus.
- Since we are an international team, English is the main language and proficiency in written and spoken English is crucial.
- We offer a full-time PhD position in a high-level international team at the University, including an attractive salary and benefits package.
- Most importantly, we offer the opportunity to do cutting edge scientific research in an international environment.