PhD research and teaching assistant in Agricultural and Development Economics - Belgium
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- The candidate will designand conduct scientific research in the field of Food Supply Chains and Sustainable Development or in the field of Rural Development and Gender. Withinthe first field of research, studies are conducted on the agronomic,environmental and socio-economic implications of the globalization of the food system and innovations in food supply chains. Within the second field ofresearch, studies are conducted on structural and agricultural transformation,food security, female empowerment and child welfare. Research focuses on several developing countries (mostly but notexclusively in Africa) and mostly involves micro-economic research based onsurvey data and quantitative econometric analysis.
- Research involves travellingto one or several developing countries to conduct field work, collect data and collaboratewith project partners.
- The candidate will assist in teaching MSc-level courses in agricultural, food and natural resource economics, organized at the Faculty of Bio science Engineering.
- The candidate will be involved in developing course material, correcting student assignments,attending to exercise sessions, and assisting in the co-organization of the Master Program Agro-Ecosystems Engineering at the Faculty of Bio science Engineering.
- Holder of an MSc degree in BioscienceEngineering, Agricultural Economics, Development Economics, Natural ResourcesEconomics or another relevant field of Applied Economics or BioscienceEngineering – graduated with at least distinction / cum laude.
- Interest in the issues of sustainable rural development, the global food system, food supply chains and gender, and more generally in the research topics of the Division of Bio-economics
- Interest in pursuing aPhD in the field of Agricultural and Development Economics
- Proficiency in English(a must); proficiency in Dutch, French and/or Spanish (an advantage)
- Skilled instatistical, econometric and quantitative data analysis
- Experience withhousehold or farm-survey data collection is an advantage
- Experience withstatistical packages (especially STATA) is an advantage.
- The candidate isflexible, dynamic, persistent, problem-solving oriented, able to workindependently, and interested to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- A competitive full-time PhD scholarship
- A dynamic and multi-cultural work environment
- Participation in multi-disciplinary research projects involving leading European research groups, ranging from agricultural economics to environmental and earth sciences.