This job is currently Archived,
PhD position on Photonic neuromorphic computing - Belgium
Ghent University (company)
Posted on : 10 April 2017
- We are looking for highly motivated PhD candidates with a background in photonics and an interest in machine learning to do research into photonics reservoir computing, an exciting new paradigm of photonics information processing.
- Reservoir computing is a methodology from the field of machine learning and neural networks, which has been used successfully in several pattern classification problems, like speech and image recognition.
- However, so far it has been mainly used in a software implementation, which limits its speed and power efficiency.
- Thanks to our recent work we have shown that photonics could provide an excellent platform for such a hardware implementation.
- We are now scaling up this approach from a lab prototype with a small number of nodes to a bigger system which can tackle more complex, real-life problems.
- An important aspect here is a so-called all-optical output layer, which will perform the readout of the neural network using optics only, without relying on conversions to the electrical domain.
- This is the missing element that will enable us to perform information processing at levels of speed and power consumption beyond anything which is possible electronically today.
Profile of the candidate
- We offer you the opportunity to perform cutting-edge, blue-sky research, in a challenging, motivating environment, working within a multidisciplinary team consisting of both photonics people and computer scientists.
- A willingness to tackle challenges coming from these multidisciplinary collaborations is a must.