PhD position: microbial network inference and analysis platform - Belgium
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- An increasing number of large-scale sequencing projects studies the composition of microbial communities in environments ranging from the open ocean to the human gut.
- These projects often yield abundance estimates for thousands of operating taxonomic units over hundreds of samples and are accompanied by rich metadata on the environment and the sequencing protocol.
- Previously, a number of network construction techniques was developed and applied to these data sets to explore microbial community structure.
- However,these techniques often result in large networks, so-called "hairballs", which need to be further analysed to better understand the community under study.
- In this project, we will develop, implement and benchmark novel approaches to visualize, analyse and interpret these "hairballs", in order to gain biological insights from these challenging data sets.
- good knowledge of an object-oriented programming language, integrated development environment and modern version control system
- at least basic knowledge of microbiology or ecology
- strong interest in microbial ecology
Background in biology
- good knowledge of microbiology or ecology
- at least basic knowledge of an object-oriented programming language
- strong motivation to improve programming skills
- The PhD candidate is expected to apply for a PhD fellowship and should therefore meet the eligibility criteria
- Proficiency in English is required, knowledge of graph theory, Cytoscape or R is a plus.
- The PhD candidate should obtain a Master degree end of September 2017 at the latest.
- full-time 2-year contract, with the possibility of an extension
- enrolment at one of the top universities in Europe
- exciting research environment
- competitive salary