This job is currently Archived,
PhD position: Interactive Robotic Architecture Leuven Belgium,
KU Leuven (company)
Posted on : 19 June 2017
- The Faculty of Engineering Sciences of our university (Belgium) has an opening for a fully funded PhD position related to the emerging practice of architectural robotics / robotic architecture / robots in architecture.
- The overall aim requires cross-disciplinary knowledge from architectural design, human-computer interaction and robotics.
- The research consists of developing new kinds of interfaces that facilitate the iterative design of true-size, physical objects of architectural elements via interactive robotic actuation.
- More specifically, we will create human-robot interfaces that are embodied via the physical prototype itself, rather than using the common approach of 3D virtual modeling and simulation.
- The position will involve a variety of tasks: the development of digitally mediated interfaces, the fabrication of demonstrators of architectural scale and the deployment of case-driven evaluation studies, all alongside collaborating with relevant industrial partners.
- The applicant will also be expected to help in the teaching of related units.
The position will be suitable for someone with experience on the technical aspects of one or more of the following areas, or demonstrate the ability to acquire sufficient skills in all these areas:
- human-computer interaction (HCI) (e.g. tangible, embedded and embodied interaction);
- digital or robotic fabrication;
- computer science (e.g. computer vision, machine learning, robotics);
- design science (e.g. architecture, parametric design, 3D modelling).
The project is a joint, interdisciplinary initiative of the research group Research and the Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Duration of the scholarship: 2 x 24 months, with probation period.
3000 Leuven Belgium
Find a Job Find Candidates