PhD position: Interactive Robotic Architecture - Belgium
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- The Faculty of Engineering Sciences of our university (Belgium) has an opening for a fully funded PhD position related to the emerging practice of architectural robotics / robotic architecture / robots in architecture.
- The overall aim requires cross-disciplinary knowledge from architectural design, human-computer interaction and robotics.
- The research consists of developing new kinds of interfaces that facilitate the iterative design of true-size, physical objects of architectural elements via interactive robotic actuation.
- More specifically, we will create human-robot interfaces that are embodied via the physical prototype itself, rather than using the common approach of 3D virtual modeling and simulation.
- The position will involve a variety of tasks: the development of digitally mediated interfaces, the fabrication of demonstrators of architectural scale and the deployment of case-driven evaluation studies, all alongside collaborating with relevant industrial partners.
- The applicant will also be expected to help in the teaching of related units.
- human-computer interaction (HCI) (e.g. tangible, embedded and embodied interaction);
- digital or robotic fabrication;
- computer science (e.g. computer vision, machine learning, robotics);
- design science (e.g. architecture, parametric design, 3D modelling).
- Duration of the scholarship: 2 x 24 months, with probation period.