This job is currently Archived,
PhD in Literary Criticism/Philosophy Leuven Belgium,
KU Leuven (company)
Posted on : 19 July 2017
- The ERC Starting Grant Project HOM Homo Mimeticus: Theory and Criticism in conjunction with the Institute of Philosophy and the Faculty of Arts at our university is advertising a 100% 4-year Ph.D. position in Literary Criticism/Philosophy (starting date: November 1, 2017).
- HOM is a 5-year interdisciplinary project in the humanities funded by the European Research Council (ERC) and hosted by the Department of Literary Studies and the Institute of Philosophy at our university. The goal of the project is to investigate the role mimesis (imitation) plays in modern English literature, science fiction films, and contemporary continental philosophy.
- Highly motivated candidate with an MA in Modern English Literature, Continental Philosophy, Film Studies (or related degree in the humanities).
- Strong interest in the role mimesis and its emerging conceptual avatars (identification, mimicry, simulation, mirror neurons) play in the formation of subjectivity.
- Written/oral proficiency in English and outstanding close reading/academic writing skills.
- Enthusiasm for working across disciplinary boundaries, team-work, as well as independent, out-of-the-box thinking.
- Commitment to completing a Ph.D. thesis in at least one of the three disciplines internal to HOM within four years.
- Unique opportunity to investigate one of the most important concepts in the literary/philosophical tradition from an interdisciplinary perspective.
- Immersion in one of the most prestigious European university that promotes innovative training in literature and philosophy.
- Participation in an ERC project funded by Horizon 2020 devoted to promoting the very best research in Europe via prestigious grants that face the challenges of the 21st Century.
- Professional supervision and assistance to fulfill the goals of a Ph.D.
- Competitive pay: Gross salary at least 3.000 EUR per month.
3000 Leuven Belgium
Find a Job Find Candidates