This job is currently Archived,
PhD Candidate - Single Cell Transcriptomics of the Early Stages of Alzheimer& Disease - Belgium
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Posted on : 20 March 2017
- The Laboratory for the Research of Neurodegenerative Diseases is looking for a PhD candidate to explore single-cell transcriptome data of the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease.
- The candidate should have a strong background in bioinformatics, machine learning or statistics.
- The early stages of Alzheimer's disease are still poorly understood. It is unknown how the different cell types react to early amyloid stress and how these changes propagate through the different brain regions (in particular the hippocampus). In this project we will apply single cell transcriptomics to an Alzheimer's mouse model.
- Combining this data with a number of different technologies, such as in-situ hybridization and electrophysiology, will allow us to build a detailed spatio-temporal model, distinguishing different cell types, of the earliest steps in the progression of Alzheimer's disease.
- We are looking for a driven candidate who looks forward to apply his/her bioinformatics or statistics background to understand the biological features of cellular changes in AD.
- The ideal candidate is a self-driven scientist who will be able to critically contribute novel ideas to data analysis and project planning.
- The candidate will work on the analysis of transcriptomics data and integrate this data with data from other sources, both locally generated, as well as public data.
- The ultimate goal is to generate a spatial and temporal model of the transcriptional changes at the onset of AD.
- Applicants should hold a Master degree in bioinformatics, statistics, mathematics, physics, engineering or a biological or biomedical degree with additional training in bioinformatics or statistics.
- Strong interest in the field of neurodegenerative disorders
- Programming/data analysis experience required (preferably R or Python)
- A strong knowledge of statistics and machine learning methods are a plus
- Knowledge of genetic analysis and NGS data analysis are a plus
- Motivated students of all nationalities with a strong commitment to basic and/or clinical research are invited to apply.
- Ability to independently generate precise, reliable data and interpret them.
- Innovative and creative personality.
- Hands-on attitude.
- Excellent training conditions for bioinformatics within a team of specialists
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and possibility to invest in new infrastructure as needed
- A stimulating, diverse international research environment in a world-class academic laboratory
- Animal models, patient material, expertise in neurodegenerative disorders
- Start date: as soon as possible - the position is immediately available