Ph.D. researcher/tutor, Division of Geography - Belgium
- The subject of the Ph.D. research can be negotiated to some extent but should fit into the research line of sustainable tourism and local/regional development with a focus on carrying capacity issues. The use of big data (e.g. Copernicus) to develop monitoring of tourism (over-)use at natural and/or cultural heritage sites as to support a sustainable tourism in general and heritage tourism in particular is recommended.
- In all cases, this project/research joins in with the following main research topics of the division: Society and environment, Tourism and leisure, Economic geography, Regional development and spatial policy
- After consultation of the involved staff members, the candidate defines his/her doctoral project one month after his/her appointment.
- Supervisor: D. Vanneste (local programme director Erasmus Mundus Master STeDe)
co-supervisor: depends on the subject
- Besides research on the doctoral project ,the selected candidate will fulfill a limited number of didactic tasks for the educational programme Erasmus Mundus Master in Sustainable Territorial Development (STeDe) and/or Master of Tourism and/or Master in Geography. Most important will be the task of tutor for the students of the Erasmus Mundus Master programme STeDe.
- The tutor participates in the meetings of the local educational commission for STeDe, assists in organizing some courses (e.g. the course Communication and transversal skills) and field trips, grades some assignments and supports the local program director of the STeDe program e.g.by preparing the welcoming of the students and supporting students in an formal and informal way.
- You have a master’s degree in geography, tourism, sustainable develop, planning or equivalent with experience or interest in the subject mentioned above
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Very good command of English (orally and in writing)
- Good communicative skills
- Good organizational skills
- Command of French is an advantage
- Experience with an international educational program (e.g. Erasmus Mundus) is an advantage
- Experience with GIS and analysis of big data is an advantage
- period lasts for 3 years (depending on available financial resources, extendable with 1 year)
- Full time: start 1/11/2017 – 30/9/2020 (depending on available financial resources: extension 1/10/2020-30/9/2021)