Payroll Specialist Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Payroll Specialist, in partnership with ADP, is responsible for ensuring payrolls are run accurately and timely. The scope of this position includes providing additional pay instructions to ADP for employees requiring pay adjustments each payroll (such as awards, overpayment recovery, etc.). The Payroll Specialist will be responsible for reviewing and analyzing vendor-provided documents and reports, researching issues, and providing recommendations for resolution/correction related to payroll processing activities and outputs – checks, reports and files. They will also resolve escalated employee cases and inquiries. He/she will participate on process improvement initiatives.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Internal Company Processes & Policies
- Assist Payroll Associate Director in day-to-day data collection, preparation and export of pay data files to ADP in accordance with the timelines outlined in the production scheduled.
- Researches and resolves tier 2/tier 3 cases and inquiries from employees.
- Direct interface with ADP to ensure that HR/Payroll data is provided accurately and efficiently
- Reconcile and retain documentation related to executed payrolls
- Provide approvals to ADP to proceed with payroll according to predetermined schedules.
- Review and sign off on employee time submissions for transmission to ADP
- Works with ADP to research and deliver data related to activities which occurred prior to the start of ADP service delivery
- Assists with payroll vendor administration and account management activities, as required
- Monitors internal controls to verify that input and processing of all payroll data including wages, garnishments, applicable wage taxes and other miscellaneous wage/benefit programs, calculations, and deductions meet expectations, in conjunction with best practices and Company policy
- Creates and reviews audit and management reports at the appropriate time in accordance with the production schedule.
- Participates in ADP/company meetings for the development and ongoing administration of payroll, provides documentation on issues and works collaboratively with ADP, third-party vendors and internal company stakeholders toward timely resolution.
- Ensures internal controls are established related to HR/payroll employee master records and employee time files, and that these controls are maintained and monitored on a continuing basis.
- Researches, investigates and reports all problems, corrections, and changes related to ADP payroll programs, and responds to related inquiries and escalations in a timely manner.
- Participates in making updates to Payroll Standard Operating Procedures
- Support Payroll Associate Director in all Internal/External Audits
Ongoing Process Improvements
- Assists Payroll Associate Director with the development and maintenance of internal client policy documentation related to payroll processing
- Provides recommendations on changes to policy, procedures or rules that influence or affect the administration of payroll, and communicates recommendations and business decisions to the Payroll Manager, as appropriate.
- Works with ADP on changes, updates, and/or additions to any current processes, to include areas of processing, Employee Service Center impact and updates to the COS Knowledge Base
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Minimum 7 years work experience with minimum 3 years in payroll, benefits, payroll support, or a related accounting function
- Strong understanding of payroll processes and compliance, including payroll tax reporting
- Must have excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills along with high personal integrity, credibility, and energy
- Knowledge of HR business processes through experience working with interdependent groups (i.e. Finance and Human Resources) that are impacted by the payroll process.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related discipline
- Experience in using HR Information Systems (HRIS) for both data storage and analysis
- Experience in coordinating and monitoring payroll processing functions or vendors performing these functions
- Experience working in a support center environment.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job Title:Spclst, Payroll Accounting
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Rahway
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 3
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Payroll, HR, Information Systems, Finance, Human Resources, Technology, Bilingual, Research