Payroll Manager - United Kingdom
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Our company is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products.
- Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
- Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you.
- To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork.
- As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
- To lead, manage and develop the payroll function and staff to ensure a high quality service is provided and that the function is ‘fit for purpose’ at all times and compliant with UK Senior Accounting Office requirements and Sarbanes Oxley controls requirements.
- Ensure the accurate and timely provision of the Company’s payroll and associated employment taxes/pension/accounting and year end processes
- Ensure all payments (e.g. HMRC, Pension, Social Security, Share Scheme) and returns are made accurately and within specified deadlines and are made in strict adherence to Company, legislativeand fiscal guidelines.
- Provide centre of expertise support in all technical payroll, employment taxes and payroll accounting matters to the UK business.
- Maintain a strong relationship with third party service providers (e.g. flexible benefit providers, pension scheme administrators etc.) and internal services providers and functions (e.g. Shared Business Services, Corporate HR & benefits, local HR and benefits)
- Demonstrate and promote the Merck Leadership Behaviours on a day to day basis within the Payroll and Finance function.
- Control and manage the accurate, timely production and payment of all UK payrolls
- Ensure payroll personnel have an adequate level of technical knowledge to ensure all activities are performed and completed in a compliant manner
- Identify and implement necessary changes to processes and systems to maintain a ‘first class’ payroll function
- Jointly responsible, with Financial Controller, for configuration of Meridian Business Rules – to ensure the Company’s expenses process remains compliant with agreed dispensation, PSA notices etc.
HMRC Compliance & Employment Taxes:
- Ensure all employment taxes are paid timely and accurately
- Ensure all employment/payroll related forms, processes and submissions are completed timely and accurately (e.g. P11D, Form 42, Short Term Visitor submission, Stock Options etc.)
- Identify and implement necessary changes to processes and systems as legislative/fiscal requirements change (e.g. real time information)
- Keep abreast and comply with all employment tax law, advise and liaise with management to determine how changes may impact UK group companies
- Ensure Senior Accounting Office documentation remains current and is reviewed at least annually
- Ensure payroll function is compliant with Sarbanes Oxley requirements (e.g. Timely prepareation of balance sheet reconciliations)
- Ensure payroll function is complaint with applicable pension legislation and regulatory requirements
- Ensure payroll function is compliant with Company and fiscal document retention and management requirements
- Recruit, train and develop payroll personnel to maintain high standards of service, cost effectiveness and consistency which continually improves the payroll function
- Pro-actively support business initiatives and developments
- Collaborate with Shared Business Services and Centres of Excellence to ensure all payroll matters are addressed and completed in a timely manner
- Tax proficient in employment taxes
- Proficient in pension matters as they relate to payroll
- Personnel/People management and development experience
- A formal qualification in payroll management would be desirable
- Self-motivated with the ability to proactively drive the role and function forward
- Strong communicator
- Excellent interpersonal skills and leadership qualities
- Our employees are the key to our company’s success.
- We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program.
- Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.