Oncology Director – Saudi Job - Saudi Arabia
MSD is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Reporting directly to the AVP, Regional President, Merck Oncology, the Business Unit Director, Oncology, Middle East will be responsible for oversight and leadership of all of Middle East Oncology BU activity which includes marketing and sales, policy, professional relations, and medical/scientific affairs.
Responsibilities include build-out and market planning to ensure that Oncology commercial/marketing strategy, tactics and infrastructure are in place to successfully achieve new product launch, operating plans and critical milestones. In addition, this leader will work closely with local pricing and market access colleagues to appropriately communicate value, drive access and support patient care. This business leader has full P&L responsibility.
This leader will also manage and interact with global brand teams, regional and local project teams. As a senior member of the leadership team, he/she will drive Oncology transformation and actively engage his/her organization and beyond.
MAJOR ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Key priorities for the role include:
• Outstanding execution by assuming responsibility for the P&L within a multifunctional organization and achieving annual budget targets, in a highly strategic and competitive therapeutic area.
• Achieve targets by prioritizing on strong financial performance and successfully delivering on operational commitments including top line revenue growth, market share improvement and increased profits.
• Develop imaginative, broad based and non-traditional approaches to develop Oncology business opportunities using a customer driven, end-to-end approach. Flex and adapt rapidly to new situations and continually seek for new opportunities.
• Evaluate alternatives, have the constitution for change, and the skills to drive it. Drive change and generate new ideas. Encourage others to generate ideas.
Inspire and Develop
• Engage, motivate and inspire his/her organization (marketing, sales and support functions). Set direction for the business and align the team to enthusiastically execute on Oncology strategy. Demonstrate ability to lead and influence people and team who are not reporting directly to him/her.
• Attract, retain and develop strong and diverse talents inclusive of succession planning.
• Liaise and build strong rapport with the regional and global organization by integrating the broader organization’s expertise and know-how into the operations and take guidance effectively from and contribute to corporate knowledge resources.
• Collaborate extensively and successfully with peers, cross-BU resources, Regional and HQ colleagues.
• Preferably 15 years’ experience within the pharmaceutical sector, at least several of which are within the Oncology Saudi market.
• Leadership of an operating business unit, strong experience managing /driving budget/ resources and profitability.
• Significant commercial launch experience of a notable Oncology product and life cycle management.
• Experience in negotiation of Oncology drug approval process, with strong pricing and market access knowledge (preferably in Middle East )
• Successful and diversified experience in Marketing and Sales, People Management and Business Development.
• Executive Experience communicating internally and externally as Voice of a Region, Brand or Business Unit.
• Prior engagement with EMA.
• Bachelors degree required, advanced degree preferred with emphasis in Life Science, Business or Economics.
• External Market Analysis and Impact - Understands category, business and competitive assessment in order to hone-in on strategies and tactics that will fuel sustained growth and profitability. Reviews other markets to identify best-practices and proposes innovative and alternative methods to maximize the brand.
• Network - Build and sustain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, customers, and scientific leaders by demonstrating expertise, competence and trustworthiness. Cultivate an extensive network; apply knowledge of processes, interrelationships, and the industry to work collaboratively.
• Strategic Thinking & Planning – Led business initiatives with external stakeholders (Market Access, Business Development, and Policy). Develops strategic brand plans and responsible for category marketing strategy and designing long-term vision for brands. Interacts with global strategies, contributes to shaping the short, medium and long-term country strategies. Is also able to set the strategy for the launch of new products across a portfolio of business.
• Marketing Communication - Solid understanding of marketing communication tools and methods (internal and external) that will allow effective messaging with target customers with a view of building brand equity. Strong presentation skills in order to communicate marketing strategy and execute appropriate tactical plans to target customers. Represented Merck to external stakeholders or led Pharmaceutical industry associations.
• Financial Acumen – Develops revenue/volume/profit goals across significant/large/multiple brands and/or segments. Manages P&L throughout the year and adjusts volume changes, cost parameters in collaboration with Finance in order to maintain appropriate financial focus and rigor.
• Customer Relationship Management - Identifies customer oriented initiatives beyond current role/responsibilities and continuously balances the impact of these initiatives on the customer taking into account all commercial considerations. Anticipate and understand customer/patient needs, and make them the focus of his/her strategies, initiatives, and decisions.
• Oncology Therapies, Product(s) and Disease States, preferably late stage melanoma and lung cancer. Demonstrates a strong understanding of medical concepts and products to interpret and discuss medical literature and educational material with external customers. Exhibits strong knowledge of brand history, heritage, evolution and critical success factors to contribute to an effective marketing plan.
• Project Management - Establishes delivery performance standards and metrics to ensure achievement of expected value proposition. Ensures necessary resources for needed new products or improvements. Creates multi-disciplinary technical innovations and solutions and works on cross-functional teams in the planning, roll out and delivery of brand meetings.
• Cross-Functional Capability - Held leadership roles in and/or managed multiple functions, successfully acquiring the appropriate breadth/depth of expertise. Shows strong working knowledge of all functional areas (e.g. supply chain, sales, medical, regulatory affairs, compliance, legal and public relations) in order to provide input into decisions and influence internal stakeholders on issues of common interaction.
Leveraged and sponsored support functions (including HR, IT, Finance, etc.) while delivering the business.
• Field Force Effectiveness Management – Shows solid understanding of strategies, tools, processes and methods that optimize field force effectiveness with a view of maximizing field force capabilities. Manages the interpretation/assessment of market research and business analytics data with a view of further driving brand performance. Interacts with other sales support groups such as sales training in order to optimize field force selling and coaching skills.
• Leading Self or Others and Department - Assumes overall leadership responsibilities in managing the sales and marketing groups both from a head office and field force perspective. Is considered the role model in developing strong Talents and providing direction to more junior product managers. Executes in conjunction with regional/sales managers in order to meet/exceed operating plan milestones. Drives performance standards, administers the performance management process and utilizes the results as a basis for establishing specific objectives. Recruits talent and gains consensus for hiring. Drives departmental direction through personal efforts through influencing, leveraging, or leading others.
The competences required for this position are the following:
• Business Acumen – Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, technology, and information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
• Directing others – Energize and inspire others to higher levels of effort and performance. Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
• Hiring and Staffing – Has a nose for talent; hires the best people available from inside or outside; is not afraid of selecting strong people; assembles talented staffs.
• Innovation Management – Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace. Make and own difficult, timely, market leading decisions, even amidst significant uncertainty.
• Managing vision and purpose – Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; creates mileposts and symbols to rally support behind the vision; makes the vision sharable by everyone; can inspire and motivate entire units or organizations.
• Ethics and Integrity - His/her judgment must be consistent with Merck’s policies and values, particularly in situations in which the answer is not obvious or clear. He/she must demonstrate stewardship in regards to compliance.
• Organizational Position – Is skilled politically; can explain headquarters’ actions to in-country staff; teaches in-country staff and headquarters about each other’s perspectives; knows when to stop on a battle; is an outstanding communicator; works the informal network well; never misses an opportunity to explain or sell a position.
• Global Business knowledge- Understands business on a global scale; understands what works in many countries; understands what’s different from country to country; understands global differences in customers; knows how capital flows and operates internationally; understands that different laws and regulations govern global business; is learning agile; understands that different approaches work in different places.
• Strategic Agility– Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.
Job: Direct Sales Generic ONC Job Title:Oncology Director – Saudi
Primary Location: EMEA-Saudi Arabia-Riyadh-Riyadh
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:MSD
Job Segment: Oncology, Manager, Medical, Law, Pharmaceutical Sales, Healthcare, Management, Legal, Sales