This job is currently Archived,
Molding Tooling/Process Specialist - United States
Becton Dickinson (company)
Posted on : 19 July 2017
- This position is responsible for supporting the molding operation. This individual will develop and implement improved methods of molding, procedures, and processes that result in improved efficiencies, yields, mold operations, and quality.
- Also provide technical support to molding operations and support trouble-shooting with existing molds or continuous improvement efforts.
- Comply with all local BD quality policies, procedures and practices through consistent application of sound quality assurance principles.
- Provides technical support to the Mold Builders, Process Engineers, and Mold Makers for the implementation of new molds, designs and products.
- Supports the designs and provides input in the fabrication of injection molds. Provides engineering support to the site molding operations to achieve production volumes at the highest quality, safety and lowest cost.
- Applies engineering principles and practices specifically related to the design, fabrication and operation of injection molds,
- Cost estimating, quote approvals, vendor relations, R&D research, tooling design and changes, mold improvements.
- Application of Scientific and Engineering principles to drive improvements in tooling, production, processing and continuous improvement projects.
- Teams with Mold Repair on tooling improvements and repair practices that will continually improve production efficiency.
- Highly engaged in troubleshooting issues in the mold shop, production floor, and mold vendors.
- Lead tooling improvement projects through the use of Moldtrax, SAP, Blitz’s and Engineering support.
Project Planning and Execution – Prepares and implements project or improvement plans for areas of responsibility including but not limited to: efficiency improvements, cost reduction or quality improvement programs, new product support and other mold or process improvements. The plan or proposal is to include the proposed technical approach, estimated implementation costs, estimated resource needs, and a time schedule. Plan, implement and coordinate new process development activities related to molds and tooling, as well as changes to the existing molds if applicable. Includes assessing and determining needs; such as: shrinkage, draft angles, tolerances, material needs, etc.
Preventive Maintenance Planning and Coordination – Responsible for reviewing all PM plans and tasks within assigned area to ensure effective completion of maintenance according to PM schedule. Follow up on mold breakdowns with any necessary updates to the PM system to facilitate continuous improvement of mold reliability.
Technical Writing / Documentation – Must possess excellent technical writing ability. Required to prepare process job descriptions and manufacturing/mold specifications, thoroughly documents all equipment, machines, and tooling with accurate and clear detailed prints and maintenance instructions. Write capital expenditure requests for equipment, tooling and fixtures, as needed.
Manufacturing Support – Provides technical guidance as needed to manufacturing and hourly technical personnel during the start up of new or changed products/molds and processes. Uses good decision making, problem solving and trouble-shooting techniques to minimize the potential or correct ongoing molding issues.
Capital Request / Capital Management – Prepares a plan for procurement of capital equipment including obtaining of quotes, vendor investigation, budgeting, and scheduling. Prepares specifications, place orders, coordinate procurement, install equipment, debug and coordinate the start up of new or modified molds from outside firms or as modified internally, manages capital spending on assigned projects to ensure spending in accordance with the plan capital budget.
Design – Coordinate design activity with outside vendors or internal departments as necessary. If resources are unavailable, perform own design and drafting as required. Redesigns or oversees the redesign of existing molds to incorporate improvements relating to safety, mold reliability, product quality, and / or cost reduction. Helps establish mold specifications and prepares purchase requisitions and or capital budget requests for new molds.
Validation efforts - Manage the validation process with new tools by solving any issues that arise related to quality or cost of the molding tool. Coordinate and carry out qualification and validation activities for new products, processes, changes and transfers as required.