Medical Scientific Liaison Immunology - BeLux - Belgium
‘Caring for the world, one person at a time’... inspires and unites the people of Johnson & Johnson. We embrace research and science - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
Janssen Benelux is part of Johnson & Johnson and is responsible for commercialization of the Janssen portfolio within the Benelux, and is active in 5 therapeutic areas: neuroscience, metabolic disorders, oncology, immunology and infectious diseases (HIV, HEP-C and TB). Janssen Benelux is committed to become the most trusted partner in healthcare by 2020. The offices of Janssen are located in Beerse, Belgium.
The role of a Medical Scientific Liaison (MSL) is to be a therapeutic area scientific expert, responsible for discussing our products, patient treatment trends and studies in the therapeutic areas in which we are involved, on a peer-to-peer basis with a defined audience of external clinical and non-clinical stakeholders (Physicians, Pharmacists, Hospital Managers, Board Members of Scientific Societies, and other stakeholders) in line with the overall stakeholder mapping and to be considered a trusted scientific counterpart and partner. The MSL will collaborate with the MA in developing the country specific tactical plan and tools, to be included in the Medical Affairs Therapeutic Area plan.
Through activities in line with the Medical Affairs Plan, the MSL is jointly responsible for the realization of short-term and long-term company goals, and accountable for execution of the MSL activities described in the relevant country specific tactical plan. The MSL role is field based.
The Medical Scientific Liaison reports to the Medical Affairs Manager (MAM) of the assigned therapeutic area. The MAM provides functional line management to MSLs including setting objectives and performance review.
Tasks and responsibilities:
• To keep abreast of medical and scientific knowledge: Continuously update your knowledge of products, patient treatment trends and clinical activities and studies within the therapeutic area and patient treatment trends in the region. Identify evolving scientific concepts with future clinical implications and be a trusted scientific counterpart and a partner.
• Development and maintenance of a contact network with external stakeholders:
- Understand their needs, key value drivers, practical treatment patterns and scientific activities within the therapeutic area
- Partnership in development of new treatment paradigms
- Develop, roll out, apply and maintain an external stakeholder management plan
- Communicate the value of company products
- Through scientific interactions, champion the medical value of our products
- Represent the company to other therapeutic area stakeholders including professional associations and patient organizations
- Recognize and nurture relationships with rising stars within the scientific community
- Give external presentations on disease area, and products which contain off-label information
• Proactive and reactive communication of medical scientific data to external stakeholders:
- Communicate directly and proactively scientific information on our products within the approved label
- Communicate non-promotional general information about our company, including pipeline, research and development programs and other relevant information
- Respond to unsolicited scientific queries from customers for approved products and products/indications in development, based on Medical Affairs and Medical Information documents
- Use digital technologies and new media to support proactive and reactive communication
• Planning, organization and participation in Medical Education activities: Build medical education programs with scientific third parties if necessary. Identify/support/educate speakers and manage assigned medical education budget, as appropriate.
• Organization and participation in Advisory Boards in cooperation with the MAM/MA.
• Provision of scientific support to internal company stakeholders: Provide medical and product training and scientific support to internal company stakeholders in coordination with training departments as appropriate. Act as a reference point for any scientific query.
• Be a professional member of the Regional Account Team.
• Contribution to regional account plans together with the Product Specialist and Key Account Manager for his/her region/country and update on status and alignment on regional account plans.
• Support Medical Affairs evidence-generating activities, planning, design and execution in close co-operation with GCO and clinical research organizations (CROs)
• Through scientific interactions, gain valuable insights into treatment patterns, and scientific activities in the therapeutic area and provide strategic input to the company Medical Affairs Plan/ business decision-making and support MA to translate MAF plan into country specific tactics, in line with Cluster Value Team (CVT)/ business plan.
• Through scientific interactions with external stakeholders, increase medical value of our products, fairly based on the risk-benefit profile of our drugs and contribute to fostering innovative therapeutic approaches to benefit patients.
• Ensure compliance: Make sure all activities deployed are in line with Health Care Business Integrity regulations and ensure review by the Medical Affairs Manager.
Education, experience & competencies:
• Scientific degree: preferably Medical Doctor, pharmaceutical or other biomedical degree
• Preferably working experience within Medical Affairs in the pharmaceutical industry or equal relevant experience
• Deep knowledge of the therapeutic area, strength in research and interpretation of medical data
• Strategic thinking to promote growth, process improvement and gaining competitive advantage
• Excellent analytical, communication, and presentation skills
• Able to work in a team and independently: show leadership, influencing and negotiation skills
• Business acumen: Awareness of business administration and translation into tactical plans and tools
• High customer focus with an understanding of the importance of business results and able to apply problem-solving strategies
• Innovative, able to work in a matrix and coordinate and drive a complex and changing environment
• Being persistent and willing to make tough decisions
• Awareness of, and adherence to, Johnson & Johnson Credo values and International Health Care Business Integrity Guidelines
• Willing to comply with regulatory requirements and with company policy on business integrity
• Languages: Dutch, French, English: spoken, written
What’s in it for you…?
“Caring for the world, one person at a time…”
As an employee we consider you as our most valuable asset. We take your career seriously.
As part of a global team in an innovative environment your development is key and our day-to-day responsibility.
Through e-university, on the job training, various projects and programs, we ensure your personal growth.
Our benefits make sure we care for you and your family now and in the future.
Janssen Cilag N.V./S.A. (7025)
Medical Science Liaison