Medical Science Liaison London United Kingdom,
Medical Science Liaison
Reports to: Director Medical Affairs, Complement, UK and Ireland Field based
Location: Field based
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and delivering life-transforming therapies for patients with devastating and rare disorders. Alexion developed and commercializes Soliris® (eculizumab), the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) and atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), two life-threatening ultra-rare disorders. Alexion is also establishing a premier global metabolic rare disease franchise, which includes Kanuma™ (sebelipase alfa) for patients with lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D), and Strensiq™ (asfotase alfa) for patients with hypophosphatasia (HPP). In addition, Alexion is advancing the most robust rare disease pipeline in the biotech industry, with highly innovative product candidates in multiple therapeutic areas. As the global leader in complement inhibition, the Company is strengthening and broadening its portfolio of complement inhibitors across diverse platforms, including evaluating potential indications for Soliris in additional severe and ultra-rare disorders. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Reporting to the Director Medical Affairs Complement, and covering the UK and Ireland, the MSL will provide scientific and medical leadership and support to all functions within the affiliate to ensure achievement of local objectives and to further the Alexion Global Medical Affairs mission to maximize patient outcomes by setting and continuously advancing the evidence-based medical standard of care. The MSL will serve as a key field-based scientific expert in complement medicine, focusing on the launch of new complement therapy and for PNH, whilst also providing support across the haematology therapy area in a matrix fashion.
- Develop and continuously maintain the highest scientific and medical expertise with haematology diseases and products in Complement Medicine and be acknowledged internally and externally as an expert in these areas
- Implement the local Medical Affairs Plan and strategy, to support best clinical practice and the overall corporate objectives in Haematology TA
- Work in close partnership with regional account managers and implement effective key accountmanagement plans for medical affairs
- Actively engage with UK commercial, Medical Affairs and other functions to ensure the effective localimplementation of Alexion strategy and appropriate use of local market intelligence and developmentopportunities
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of and appropriately implement UK and Ireland pharmaceuticalregulations and Alexion policies and procedures
- Build relationships with thought leaders within Haematology TA, other healthcare professionals and stakeholders, including patient groups and professional organisations.
- Provide medical insight and strategic input to all Alexion activities, collaborating across functions, includingensuring the highest level of medical education for all Alexion employees to maximize patient outcomes
- Identify and implement appropriate high-impact medical research projects to support the business objectives,including Alexion –sponsored and investigator initiated projects
- Support the implementation of high impact medical education activities, such as advisory boards, congresssymposia, hospital meetings and speaker development programs
- Support the timely and appropriate response to Medical Information enquires, utilising global medicalinformation resources and in line with local regulatory requirements according to local policies
- Ensure a close working relationship with all functions in country, including commercial operations, sales andmarketing teams
- Provide medical direction to the development and delivery of impactful scientific and medical education messages and materials within the field of Haematology TA
- In conjunction with EMEA clinical operations perform clinical study feasibility and support effective studyimplementation and ongoing management of Alexion sponsored trials, including disease Registries, toachieve recruitment and objectives
- Support cross-functional teams to ensure patient-focused activities at all times, including rapidly respondingto specific internal and external requests to discuss specific situations and challenges and provide medicalaffairs support to all stakeholders.
- Conduct, or participate in training programs for the commercial teams and other functions, providing medicalleadership, education in line with local and global strategy and to prepare staff to handle interactions withcustomers
- Attend appropriate national and international meetings and congresses to gather intelligence, increaseexpertise in the therapy area and to develop relationships with healthcare professionals.
- Prior experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry as an MSL strongly preferred
- Background / experience in haematology or complement preferred
- Orphan diseases knowledge/experience or experience with biological product preferred
- Good analytical skills as applied to medical, scientific and technical information
- Demonstrated ability to accurately and effectively evaluate medical/scientific literature and develop effectivemedical strategies and communication strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Adaptability to multicultural environment.
- Strong team player but able to work independently
- Identify priorities and manage deliverables
- Excellent problem solving, organizational, and negotiating skills
- Exhibits composure under pressure
- Sense of ethics and responsibility
Bachelor of Science or Pharmacy Degree
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. To learn more about Alexion, please visit www.alexionpharma.com or download our App for iPhones and Blackberries.
Find a Job Find Candidates