Medical Director, Medical Affairs Spinal Muscular Atrophy - United States
|External Posting Title||Medical Director, Medical Affairs Spinal Muscular Atrophy|
|Job Description||This role will serve as one of the main points in Global Medical to provide strategic input/guidance into the development and execution of the Global Medical Stategy (derived from the Integrated Product Plan) and is a key member of the Medical Product Team(s) as well as other Cross Functional teams as applicable. |
Cross functional collaboration and representation with Global and Regionally Commercial, GMA, legal, regulatory, development and other colleagues is essential
• Responsible for leading the strategic design and execution of SMAmedical plan and tactics.
o Collaborate with regional and/or affiliate medical to ensure regional activities are aligned with global medical strategy and that Global Medical is sufficiently aware of affiliate and regional insights and needs
• Serve as the lead Global Medical contact for one or more of the key functions (e.g. Clinical Development, Commercial, or Market Acces)
o Effectively interacts and collaborates at multiple levels in the organization, including effective cross-functional interface with Regional and Affiliate Medical, R&D, Commercial, and Program Leadership
o Provide medical expertise to cross-functional teams. As a content expert, review abstracts, publications, medical information letters, and other medical documents as needed
• Maintains fiscal responsibility for the medical product activities
• Involvement with key HCPs in the exchange of scientific and medical information including Advisory Boards and presentations at national and international meetings
• Support Global Medical advisory boards and trainings including development of content and presentation of data
• Develops and manages a thought leader network to support the successful execution of SMA Affairs tactics.
o Facilitate communications between Biogen and Study Investigators, and oversee the publication of the clinical trial results both at scientific meetings and in peer reviewed journals
• Lead specific data generation projects to address identified medical data gaps
• Provides guidance, mentorship and management to the Associate Medical Director(s), Global Medical
|Location||Cambridge, MA, US|
|Job Category||Global Medical/Medical Affairs|
• MD, PhD, and/or PharmD with pharmaceutical industry experience required (5 years minimum). Relevant experience in Medical Affairs and clinical trial execution strongly desired
• Ability to understand and effectively communicate scientific and medical information to both internal and external customers. Excellent written and oral communication skills are imperative
• Ability to understand the evolving market access and reimbursement landscape and business needs of BIIB and how the strategies of Medical Affairs fit into this
• Ability to work independently yet engages in collaborative decision making, to complete tasks in a timely fashion, and function in a rapid-paced environment
• Strong background in ethical evaluation of clinical research projects, and proven ability to conduct medical and scientific analysis and decision-making
• Ability to effectively operate in a highly matrixed organization
• Strong interpersonal skills and project management skills
• Ability to take initiative and solve complex and challenging problems
• Excellent communication (particularly both written and oral), leadership, and presentation skills
• Experience with Spinal Muscular Atrophy and Pain is a plus
• MD, PhD, or other advanced degree in the life sciences.
|About Biogen||Through cutting-edge science and medicine, Biogen discovers, develops and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Founded in 1978, Biogen is a pioneer in biotechnology and today has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis, has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy and is at the forefront of neurology research for conditions including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Biogen also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics. |
With more than 7,000 people worldwide, Biogen is truly a global organization. We are headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, which is home to our research operations. Our international operations are based in Zug, Switzerland and we have world-class manufacturing facilities in North Carolina and Denmark. With a strong affiliate presence and a network of distribution partners, Biogen has established a global footprint that allows us to capture the greatest value for the products we develop.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Biogen is an E-Verify Employer in the United States.
Please be advised that all legitimate correspondence from a Biogen employee will come from "@biogen.com" email accounts.
Nearest Major Market: Cambridge
Nearest Secondary Market: Boston
Job Segment: Biotech, Pharmaceutical, R&D, Manager, Science, Research, Management