This job is currently Archived,
Medical Development Director - Canada
Posted on : 01 May 2017
- The Medical Development Director is the Inflammation therapeutic area medical expert reporting to the Executive Director, R&D.
- The Director will provide medical support, strategic direction and tactical implementation for medical and scientific issues affecting local commercialization of all the products within their therapeutic area of responsibility.
- In addition, the individual will provide strategic input into Intercontinental Region Medical planning and have strong connections with the Regional Medical Development Director of the respective Therapeutic Area and interactions with the Global Development lead (GDL) or similar positions within the Global Development organization.
- The Director will work in a matrixed manner with internal and external partners to ensure that the overall medical plan is implemented successfully.
- The Medical Director will be responsible for any local research in sponsored by our company within the relevant therapeutic area.
- Partners with Director of local Business Unit in the respective Therapeutic Area (TA) by providing support and strategic direction in all scientific issues affecting commercialization. In this capacity he/she participates in the FSC (Franchise Steering committee) of the respective Therapeutic Area
- Has active bi-directional communication between our company and the Regional Medical Development Director to represent the Canadian needs
- Accountable for delivering long term the Canadian R&D Strategic Plan for their TA
- Works closely as the Medical Strategic Leader with other members within the R&D team from Medical Communications, RMLs, Med Info, Drug Safety, Development Operations, Regulatory, as well as Value & Access and the New Product Development Leads
- Contributes the Medical/Scientific portion of the 5 year strategic franchise plans
- Determines and evaluates scientific and clinical strategies for the local TA
- Works closely with the Canadian Development Feasibility Manager in Global Study Operations for attracting new research trials to Canada from our company Global and coordinating recommendations for involvement
- Develops a company Clinical trial program:
- Works closely with the Clinical, Senior Manager to manage front end planning for company sponsored local clinical trials including input into protocol design, coordination of external expert input, recommendation for site involvement.
- Responsible for data review at study end and participates in KOL/Trial speaker development
- Evaluates Canadian requests for Investigator Sponsored Studies (ISS) proposals that are sent in through the RMLs in conjunction with the Clinical, Senior Manager
- Member of Canadian Protocol Review Group to review locally written company protocols and Investigator Initiated studies (IIS).
- Acts as local study physician for our company sponsored trials
- Represents our company to the medical, regulatory and academic communities, and government agencies by:
- Developing and maintaining a network of thought leaders and representing the company to the medical community.
- Providing medical expertise
- Participating in congresses and symposia and interfacing with thought leaders and customers to contribute to KOL development and competitive intelligence.
- Updating KOL’s and soliciting opinions regarding future clinical strategy.
- Developing and maintaining scientific therapeutic and product expertise to maximize interactions with external customers.
- Presenting to significant scientific bodies, professional societies, regulators, reimbursement bodies, Advisory Boards, and KOL’s
- Is a permanent and active member of the RDLT (R&D Leadership Team)
- Provides medical guidance for the review of individual compassionate access requests, and develops and proposes plans for continued study drug support when studies end Serves as a role model and mentor to other medically related staff in our company.
- A doctorate level medical degree (MD)
- Strong knowledge in the field of immunology/inflammation
- Strong knowledge in the field of bone, cardiology/dyslipidemia or oncology
- 5+ years of industry and/or therapeutically related medical experience in health care
- Ability to function as an ethical, professional medical expert in a complex matrix environment
- Good understanding of and experience with demonstrating the value of medicines through health economic studies or modelling
- Strong scientific and clinical research skills. A working experience with real-world data will be an asset
- Good knowledge of clinical development and commercialization processes
- Ability to identify gaps within the body of knowledge that need to be filled in order to allow optimal positioning of company's products
- Demonstrate superior team coordination and leadership skills
- Previous people management will be an asset (the incumbent may or may not have direct reports)
- Be results oriented with a strong competitive drive
- Have the skills to develop credible relationships with KOLs
- Ability to convey new or complex principles through excellent communication and presentation skills
- Be able to travel up to 20% of the time on average
- Be proficient in English (French an asset)
- Our company endeavors to make its recruitment process accessible to any and all users.
- Reasonable accommodations will be provided, upon request, to applicants with disabilities in order to facilitate equal opportunity throughout the recruitment and selection process.
- Reasonable accommodations are available, upon request, to facilitate the equal participation of candidates with disabilities, should you be selected for an interview.