Medical Affairs Strategy Associate Director - Oncology Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The US Oncology Medical Affairs Strategy Associate Director (O-MASAD) position is a core function within US Oncology Medical Affairs and supports the achievement of our scientific and medical strategies. Specifically, the O-MASAD will partner with the Oncology Medical Affairs Strategy Lead (O-MASL) to deliver our key scientific/medical strategies (materials, training, concepts) to the Health Systems Oncology Medical Affairs Directors (HSO-MADs) and Oncology Medical Science Liaisons (O-MSLs) for use with customers (external scientific leaders and key decision makers).
The O-MASAD will work across functional areas within Merck to drive the project management of new and existing efforts aligned to the medical affairs strategies. The role involves the development and execution of project plans, the identification and creation of needed resources in alignment with and applicable policies and guidance documents.
- Develop ongoing, professional relationships with key scientific leaders, professional societies, and organizations
- Lead/participate in Merck scientific forums (e.g., Expert Input Forums, Advisory Boards)
- Project Management: The O-MASAD must possess project management expertise, operational capabilities, persuasive skills, and the ability to lead without direct authority over a continuum of stakeholders at varying band levels to ensure that the practice of meaningful and collaborative scientific exchange at the direction of the O- MASL results in trust and value for Merck from the perspective of our Scientific Leaders (SLs) and Key Decision Makers (KDMs).
- Material & Training Creation: Drive creation, review and approval process of HSO-MAD and O-MSL materials as the strategic operational partner of the O-MASL. Be the US Oncology Medical Affairs subject matter expert for systems and processes related to material review teams. Provide support in ensuring appropriate training and up to date information is available to the HSO-MADs and O-MSLs to support their ongoing external interactions. Provide training and education to HSO-MADs and O-MSLs of O-MASL’s strategy/updates.
- Strategy Realization: Through direction of the O-MASL, drive the creation of the Medical Affairs Plan (MAP) ensuring input from ad boards/expert input forums, congresses, brand teams, and external interactions. Independently identifies and continually improves processes to meet strategic goals of the US Oncology Medical Affairs program. Develop executive-level presentations that provide project status updates, and reflect progress against objectives. Help create and track key performance indicators.
- Drive creation, review and approval process of HSO-MAD and O-MSL materials as the strategic operational partner of the O-MASL.
- Work with O-MASL and colleagues within Merck to develop comprehensive project plans for US Oncology Medical Affairs initiatives, including timelines, resources, and critical path assessment, milestones, and project deliverables.
- Ensure creation and development of SL/KDM customer education tools required to support strategy.
- Interface with External Agencies for HSO-MADs and O-MSLs material creation and optimization.
- Drive ZINC & PRT / VEEVA VAULT & MART training & sharing best practices.
- Provide support in ensuring appropriate training and up to date information is available to the HSO-MADs and O-MSLs to support their ongoing external interactions.
- Engage directly and independently in high-level communications in writing, on the phone and face to face with internal stakeholders.
- Independently identify and continually improve processes to meet strategic goals of Oncology Medical Affairs.
- Adhere to compliance and regulatory procedures, working closely with US Medical Affairs Compliance and Legal.
- Actively engage with Global Medical Affairs (GMA), Legal, Compliance, Brand Teams and other functional leaders to recommend solutions and/or process improvement to enhance our reputation with external scientific leaders.
- Participate in Regional Medical Affairs Team (RMAT) coordination, agenda creation, meeting notes and follow-up.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Required: BA/BS
- Preferred: PhD, PharmD, MBA/MA
- Preferred: Healthcare Field
Required Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 1 year of Oncology experience
- A minimum of 1 year of experience working in the pharmaceutical industry in Medical Affairs, including Medical Information
- Comprehensive Project Management IQ with proven competence in leading multiple projects simultaneously
- Compelling teamwork, collaborative and influencing skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation ability
- Strong personal integrity
- Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Healthcare or Scientific background
- Experience with medical review systems and processes
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Medical Affairs Generic ONC
Job Title:Assoc. Dir, Medical Affairs
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Medical, Oncology, Manager, Law, Pharmaceutical, Healthcare, Management, Legal, Science