some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the extraordinary opportunity to change lives. at alexion, such opportunities arise through our unwavering mission to serve patients and families affected by rare diseases. these patients are our guiding star, and we act with integrity, urgency, and discipline because we know their lives are at stake.
alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases through the Discovery, development and Commercialization of life-changing therapies. as the global Leader in complement Biology and inhibition for more than 20 years, alexion has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (pnh), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (ahus), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (achr) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gmg). alexion also has two highly innovative Enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (hpp) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (lal-d). in addition, the company is developing two late-stage therapies, a second complement inhibitor and a copper-binding agent for wilson disease. alexion focuses its Research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade and its development efforts on the core Therapeutic Areas of Hematology, Nephrology, Neurology, and metabolic disorders. alexion has been named to the forbes list of the world’s most innovative companies seven years in a row and is headquartered in boston, massachusetts’ Innovation district. the company also has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries.
alexion’s aspiration is to be the most rewarding place to work, where people are empowered to make a difference and where diversity of backgrounds and ideas is encouraged. we are looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment to change the lives of patients with rare diseases. we hope you will consider joining our team. further information about alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
reports to: snr Director med affairs europe north
location: field based, netherlands
the medical Advisor (netherlands) is a field based medical affairs position reporting to the head: medical affairs europe north, providing the medical point of contact between alexion and hcps, hcos and paos in the netherlands. the medical adviser is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with key external stakeholders and providing high quality scientific and Clinical support to medical affairs, Market access and cross-functional brand activities that support the overall company objectives. the initial and predominant therapy area focus of the role will be on complement mediated diseases, specifically pnh (Hematology), but later also g-mg (Neurology) and ahus (Nephrology), while supporting liaison between metabolic specialists and an allocated mam within the region.
medical affairs activities:
- be the local medical Expert for the therapy area and the medical lead within the brand team inputting into the netherlands Strategy for the brand
- strong involvement in local Pricing and Reimbursement process as the medical Expert. this is true for both the metabolic area and the complement area.
- understand current and future positioning aims for the brand and identifies scientific activities that support the achievement of those aims.
- identify and communicate new published data as appropriate
- monitor key information sources of changes within the Pharmaceutical Industry and dutch Healthcare environment which may impact on alexion products and communicate of relevance to the brand team
- proactively identify needs for promotional/ non-promotional material and discuss with Marketing colleagues
- offer ol insights to support medical and scientific Strategy and communications
- through Expert knowledge of the scientific data and using Clinical experience and knowledge, form part of the core team for the development of Clinical arguments for hta submissions
- ensure timely and informative scientific / medical exchanges with external customers and internal partners, both in the field and in head office activities, which accurately reflect scientific data, in accordance with Compliance policies and procedures as well as with legal and ethical standards
- contribute to the development of the medical plan and implement medical affairs tactics for the therapy area(s), including advisory boards, registry meetings, Hospital Presentations
- actively contribute to, and where appropriate develop therapy area Medical Education for internal business partners, and ensure timely response to requests for information, for internal partners and Healthcare professionals
- be the medical point of contact for the commercial and Sales partners, bringing medical and scientific expertise to the team and brand activities
- develop and maintain effective collaborative working relationship with other functions (Market access, Marketing, Sales)
- identify, build and maintain strong scientific collaboration with key opinion leaders, patient organisations and professional groups.
- maintain a high level of knowledge of, and appropriate implementation of the dutch code of conduct for pharmaceutical Advertising (the cgr) and current local pharmaceutical regulation .
- contribute to Training programs for the commercial teams and other functions, providing medical Leadership, education in line with local and global Strategy and prepare staff to handle interactions with customers
- provide support for the development, review and approval of presentation materials for scientific meetings, symposia and other Medical Education activities (external).
- review the content of Marketing materials to ensure information and claims are in accordance with the code of conduct (cgr)
- provide support for the development and review and approval of presentation materials for scientific meetings, symposia and other Medical Education activities.
- provide strategic input to therapy area educational materials creation.
- provide strategic and Compliance input in patient support programs
- attend and support at international, european and local congresses / symposia as required. act as an ethical Leader, demonstrating excellent awareness of the ethical, governance and Compliance framework both internally and externally. provide medical input and strategic input into advisory boards, engaging with Clinical advisors on a peer to peer level.
- deliver high-quality, accurate, thorough, balanced, and timely medical and scientific responses upon the request of Health Care professionals and other appropriate stakeholders.
- provide specialist medical interpretation of data required for health technology appraisals, Expert statements, Pharmacovigilance medical assessments and the like.
- provide high quality medical and scientific product information at medical congresses and scientific meetings, including managing and staffing medical information booths.
- maintain a high level of product, disease state, and applicable global regulatory expertise in order to provide the highest quality of medical information support for both internal and external customers.
- develop and maintain high level of product and disease knowledge to be able to support field force activities
- recognition and appropriate report of Adverse Events and product complains to the relevant teams
external stakeholder relationships:
- establish and develop strong relationships with key external customers including kols/professional groups in relevant therapeutic area, in order to gain insights to support sound decision making and brand Strategy development.
- identify opportunities for collaborative work, such as Research, guideline development, meeting Presentations etc.
- make scientific and Clinical Presentations to customers in primary and secondary care either on request or proactively as part of a broader Medical Education Strategy
- provide accurate and non-promotional scientific information relating to licensed and unlicensed products and indications following unsolicited requests from hcps
- develop relationships with patient groups and third party organisations to facilitate the exchange of scientific and Clinical information around alexion products and raise awareness of relevant disease areas.
medical support for commercial teams:
- provide high quality and timely briefing materials/Training to Sales-force, msls or Market access, on relevant appropriate data.
- Research, construct and write scientific materials to support the Sales force
- support the Sales force & Market access teams with scientific data required for formulary submissions as required
- the successful candidate must have an MD, phd, pharmd or equivalent degree; preference will be given to Physician candidates.
- experience in haematology and/or rare diseases highly desirable.
- more than 4 years Clinical experience and experience beyond Clinical Medicine preferred.
- membership/fellowship Qualification desirable but not essential
- prior msl, medical affairs or r&d experience within the Pharmaceutical Industry is desired
as a leading employer in our industry, alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. to learn more about alexion, please visit www.alexionpharma.com or download our app for iphones and blackberries.
Find a Job Find Candidates