Manager, GL Accounting and Revenue - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin Finance is a leading edge global finance organization. We have offices around the world that drive complex accounting transactions. We are a growing organization with a continued focus on process improvement and supporting the business. We continue to strive to challenge ourselves, our thinking, and the way we do accounting.
The Corporate Revenue Accounting Team manages the revenue recognition activities, AR billing, gross-to-net deductions, accruals, reporting, and royalties. The Manager, Revenue Accounting is a key contributor in the overall functions of this department. This role will collaborate with the Commercial Operations, Supply Chain, Treasury, the international revenue team, and external partners to drive the timely monthly close process. In addition, this person must have knowledge of revenue accounting concepts associated with the revenue recognition process while continuing to add value through system and process improvement initiatives.
- Develop a solid understanding of the business and products in order to appropriately apply technical accounting guidance and GAAP interpretations.
- Journal entry preparation at month-end close activities, including distributor fee/customer commission accruals, dispensing fees, deferred revenue, royalty receivable and payable accruals and other revenue and adjustments and reserves.
- Prepare and review balance sheet reconciliations for revenue related receivables and liabilities accounts (related to JE’s above), including relevant analysis of variations and operational/business drivers.
- Review, prepare, and distribute monthly reports, including sales product invoices and orders, consolidated A/R, royalty schedules and ad hoc revenue reports.
- Assist Associate Director, Revenue Accounting with quarterly revenue and reserve close schedule and ASC 605 accounting compliance items, including rebates/government discounts, returns, sales caps, pricing, royalties, the 3PL transaction audit and other.
- Analyze customer contracts as executed and update contract log, as applicable. Prepare associated revenue recognition template review and submit to senior management for review.
- Maintain Finance customer database (including customer contract information, pricing, service fees, etc.) and administer Sales Channel revenue transactions in Oracle.
- Provide necessary audit support, SOX controls, and reporting at quarter-end to external auditors and to SEC reporting team for 10Q/10K preparation, as requested.
- Identify and implement revenue accounting and month-end close process improvements in Oracle and other systems.
- Participate on department-wide initiatives for the revenue accounting function including transition to new revenue recognition standard ASC 606, Order to Cash improvement initiatives.
- Perform ad-hoc projects/tasks as requested by Associate Director, Revenue Accounting and others in the Finance department at BioMarin.
BS in Business Administration with emphasis in Accounting or Finance.
- Minimum of five years in a corporate finance department, preferably in a public company environment, biotechnology, healthcare or the pharmaceuticals industry.
- Experience with accounts receivable, order to cash, and revenue accounting (3-5 years preferred).
- Advanced MS Excel skills.
- Revenue guidance (GAAP) knowledge, including ASC-605, Revenue from Contracts with Customers and SOX controls.
- Experience working with Oracle (preferred) and/or SAP accounts receivable and general ledger modules.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects at once, work under pressure, apply judgment and explain finance concepts to non-finance audience.
- Must be self-motivated and function independently, work with all levels of an organization, and have an interest in continuously improve the functions of the department.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.