Manager for business platform R2T and CAPTURE water pipeline - Belgium
- Our company's Resource Recovery Consortium brings together academic and industrial partners that leverage their knowledge and skills to accelerate R&D on resource recovery from aqueous streams. Different internationally recognized research teams and currently 14 industrial partners develop common vision and set up joint projects.
- The R2T platform has been running for 2 years and will become part of the CAPTURE initiative under which 2 other similar platforms are currently being set up and for which an accelerator building will be constructed during the coming years (estimated to be ready by spring 2020), physically bringing together academics and industry as well as research infrastructure.
- You will be the driving force behind the industry platform, working on the interface of academia and industry and continuously develop it.
- Within the university you will map and visualize the available expertise and develop common fields of interest with the different professors and their research teams.
- You will also strongly interact with UGent business developers and the tech transfer office with regard to valorization opportunities.
- With a clear academic research map in mind, you will interact frequently with the different member companies and carefully assess the complementarities with their interests, needs and priorities. You will assess and try to address their needs and detect opportunities.
- As such, you will be actively seeking opportunities to initiate new multidisciplinary projects that imply a win-win at both sides, bearing in mind the differences in academic and industrial objectives.
- Especially larger projects with large consortia composed of multiple research and industrial partners are aimed for at the longer term.
- You will facilitate the integration of R2T to become a business platform in Capture (potentially including extending the size of the consortium) and as the manager of you will interact with the technical director to communicate the vision of the consortium and receive feedback from the advisory board.
- This job offers a lot of personal development opportunities and the freedom to test own ideas and concepts.
- You will have the opportunity to work with internationally recognized researchers and companies.
Main tasks and responsibilities Internal organisation of the consortium
- Mapping and visualization of the research expertise
- Assess knowledge gaps and make suggestions for new partners
- Guard the vision and mission of the consortium
- Organise integration of R2T in Capture
- Attending seminars and PhD defenses of the different research teams involved
- Getting acquainted with the multidisciplinary research fields (technological as well as methodological)
- Direct interaction with researchers
- Initiation of new, collaborative research projects
- Attend scientific and network events (eg EU brokerage events, conferences)
- Visit current and potential new partners
- Connecting partners and stimulate multidisciplinary collaboration
- Interaction with UGent business developers in the context of valorisation
- Proactively consult research teams to develop new project ideas
- Regularly interact with the industrial R2T partners and assess their interests and needs
Profile of the candidate
- You are searching for a long-term job in a research environment with strong connection to industry
- You preferably hold a PhD degree in science, bioscience engineering, or engineering, or demonstrate good affinity with the field by working experience
- Your scientific knowledge base and affinity allow you to develop a strong and broad knowledge of resource recovery technology from water in a short timeframe, both technological as well as methodological (e.g. modelling, LCA,…)
- You can talk the languages of both industry and academia and cross these boundaries easily
- You are a bridge-builder and have a high sense of diplomacy
- You can convince other people and have very good networking and social skills
- You are result-oriented and creative
- You are eager to share information and able to set-up structural information sharing
- You appreciate autonomy and are skilled in time-management, organizing and planning
- You are fluent in Dutch (or can learn it in a short timeframe) and English, both written and orally
- Experience with setting up (large) research projects is an asset
- Having a broad network (academia, industry, policy) is an asset
- Full-time assignment
- 2-stage application
- stage 1: selection based on motivation letter and cv,
- stage 2: presentation of the candidate’s vision and interview