Lead Clinical Laboratory Scientist - United States
Oversees clinical lab scientists’ work in the laboratory under the guidance and supervision of the department Manager/Supervisor. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws in the following areas: training, planning, assigning and directing work flow; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Duties and Responsibilities: organize by most essential tasks to least essential tasks.
- Assigns employees duties and oversees their performance.
- Coordinates schedules to ensure work is completed within policies & procedures.
- Provides training as required to personnel in order to ensure proficiency.
- Ensures that duties are properly performed per policies & procedures.
- Assists the department staff whenever necessary to process the routine daily workload.
- Spends approximately 50% of time in laboratory performing hands on tasks.
- Reviews and evaluates assay quality control to determine acceptability of test runs.
- Reviews and releases patient results for reporting.
- Troubleshoots processes & equipment.
- Performs other duties as directed by the Manager/Supervisor.
Experience: Required: Minimum 3 years in a laboratory setting.
Preferred: Minimum 5 years in a newborn screening laboratory.
Education: Required: Bachelor's Degree in a physical science or medical technology.
Working Conditions: describe office, loading dock, lab environment, include shifts and any travel:
- Predominantly an office environment. Clinical laboratory environment to a lesser degree. Some exposure to blood borne pathogens and chemical irritants. Must wear protective lab gear including lab coat, gloves, face shield and completely closed footwear when necessary.
- Employee may be required to work shifts other than daylight depending upon the needs of the laboratory. Weekend rotation may be required.
- Travel is not required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use a keyboard, type, and occasionally stand and move to other parts of the facility. Must have manual dexterity to use lab equipment. Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.