Laboratory Technician, Operations (Millsboro, DE) Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Merck Animal Health, Millsboro, DE is a BioTechnology Center of Excellence that manufactures, fills, packages and distributes vaccines for animals. Our site is responsible for mammalian, insect and avian cell culture production, live bird vaccine production, embryonated egg vaccine production, roller bottle vaccine production, bioreactor vaccine production and down-stream processing (water in oil emulsions, aseptic filling, lyophilization, etc.)
A Manufacturing Tech/Tech Operations in Central Services is an intregal support function to our manufacturing team. At all times a technician must follow Good Manufacturing Practices and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and adhere to all safety and company policies, perform duties assigned by department supervision.
Some of the responsibilites of a Central Services Manufacturing Technician/Tech Operations includes but are not limited to:
- Demonstrates, at all times, safe work habits and maintains a safe work environment.
- Understands and complies with all safety and company policies and procedures.
- Decontamination of all glassware, laboratory waste; including validation
- Handle all washing, wrapping and sterilization of glassware and equipment for production
- Moving large heavy containers (whales), moving carts and tanks (50 liters up to 800 liters)
- Loading/unloading equipment into parts washer and washing equipment and supplies by hand
- Loading/unloading items into autoclaves
- Loading/unloading waste into decon autoclaves
- Movement of egg waste barrels and fiberboard barrels into outgoing waste staging area
- Technicians are responsible for accumulation, labeling and management of hazardous, universal and/or infectious wastes
- Equipment setup and operation
- Set-up and removal of tanks from Steam In Place (SIP) Unit
- Concurrent record keeping
- Report all unusual, non-routine occurrences when performing tasks
- Attend training classes, workshops, meetings, etc., as required to improve job skills and product-related procedures
This position requires varying environmental conditions, such as: varying temperatures due to equipment (autoclaves, SIP,etc.). Majority of time is spent standing, walking, pushing, pulling and lifting. Must be required to lift up to 50lbs. This is a labor intensive position.
Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) is required per Safety Policy. Examples of required PPE are: safety glasses, safety shoes, face shield, apron, and gloves.
This position requires weekend work on a rotating schedule.
NOTE: There are 2 open positions
- High School Diploma/GED
- Must possess a mechanical aptitude
- Must have the ability to read, write and understand technical information and to effectively communicate information to colleagues at various levels
- Applicant must be able to work flexible work schedule to meet the demands of the manufacturing process. This includes the ability to work on Saturdays and Sundays as required.
- Must be flexible to work in all areas of manufacturing as needed by management to meet production demands
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience in a manufacturing laboratory setting or related vaccine production experience preferred.
- Aseptic clean room behaviors experience preferred.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Manuf./Operations Generic
Job Title:Tech, Operations
Primary Location: NA-United States
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 2
Hazardous Materials: Isopropal Alcohol, 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, Phenolic Disinfectants, 7X Cleaner,Compressed or Airline gases, Aerosol cans
Potential exposure to: Formalin, Trypan-Blue, DMSO, Oxidizers
Company Trade Name:Merck
Job Segment: Operations Manager, Biotech, Technician, Laboratory, Operations, Science, Technology