Laboratory Operations Manager - West Point, PA Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The responsibility of the Laboratory Operations Manager is to enable efficient execution of research activities at MRL Discovery sites, thereby contributing to the Merck Discovery pipeline. This individual contributor, with minimal supervision, will take the lead in managing many aspects of research laboratory operations, including communication with stakeholders and support groups at the local Discovery site. Specific duties may include the following:
- Execute, on behalf of MRL scientists, those non-scientific laboratory activities required to enable research, such as:
- Order non-stockroom supplies and reagents on behalf of researchers
- Assist with in-lab point-of-use stock stations management/optimization, as needed
- Manage capital equipment lifecycle within Merck financial systems
- Manage laboratory equipment moves within the Merck workflow systems, e.g. SWMS
- Create Purchase Orders for research equipment/services
- Enable/coordinate the shipping of research materials, e.g. samples, reagents
- Act as a resource and liaison between scientists and support groups to provide connectivity and represent the needs of the laboratory, e.g. Facility, Laboratory Services, IT and Maintenance & Repair.
- Initiate and follow-up on equipment repairs
- and follow-up on Facility work orders for laboratory modifications
- Manage IT request support, e.g. network connections, software, hardware
- Coordinate planned facility downtime with facility support
- Manage area requests for ad hoc lab or office furniture
- Represent the laboratory on various Safety and Facility committees, supporting safety inspections and action follow up as needed
- BA/BS in a science-related discipline
- Minimum of (3) years’ experience in a Laboratory environment
- Working knowledge of the drug discovery process and MRL policies
- Must possess strong communication, project management and problem-solving skills
- Deep familiarity of laboratory research methods and common instrument requirements for a research laboratory as well as local site operational workflows and stakeholders
- Customer service mentality and process improvement experience
- Familiarity with IT applications supporting research laboratories and supply ordering
- Exposure to budgeting and Financial business acumen
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Project Management Generic
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Project Management
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-West Point
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Laboratory, Operations Manager, Manager, Science, Operations, Research, Management