This job is currently Archived,
Lab Technician - Belgium
Posted on : 25 April 2017
- The Laboratory of Neurobiology is part of the research group Experimental Neurology .
- The group has a close collaboration with the Neurology Department of the University Hospitals with about 50 researchers in different domains.
- In addition, the laboratory is one of the research groups of the company Center for Brain & Disease Research (CBD) at our company / focusing on Neuroscience.
- There are 13 research groups within the CBD with a total employment of 230 researchers.
- The Laboratory focusses on clinical and fundamental research into the prevention, heredity, the pathogenesis and treatment of neuromuscular diseases such as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD), Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease (CMT) and stroke.
- We are looking for an ambitious and enthusiastic lab technician to join our lab.
- You will work together with an experienced PhD student and/or postdoctoral researcher.
- Experienced senior lab technicians will provide training.
- Our current research project focusses on peripheral neuropathies; more specific the effect of certain inhibitors on the axonal transport in neurons, derived from induced-pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), as well as the disease progression in mouse models will be investigated.
- In this research project, the focus will be mainly on: animal handling, surgery and functional testing.
In addition, following techniques will be used:
- Protein Biochemistry (purification, western blot, immunoprecipitation etc.);
- Molecular biology (DNA/RNA-purification, PCR etc.);
- Cell culture of iPSCs (differentiation of neurons and glial cells, transfections etc)
- You possess at least a degree in Biomedical or Biological Sciences (Professional Bachelor/Master) or equivalent. Further professional experience/development is an asset.
- A FELASA B license for animal work is an advantage.
- Experience with animal handling, immunohistochemistry and cell cultures is a plus, however not required.
- You demonstrate team spirit, responsibility, motivation and patience.
- You are result- and detailed-oriented, independent and yet able to interact well with other members of the research team.
- You like to work in an interdisciplinary environment and have strong communication skills.
- You are flexible and stress resistant.
- Good English skills - both oral and written - are essential in our international research group.
- We offer a full time contract of 1 year in an enthusiastic and motivated team in a dynamic scientific work environment with access to state-of-the-art infrastructure.
- Contract renewal is potential after a positive evaluation and depending on available funding.