Lab Support - Scientific Services Specialist - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
PerkinElmer is a global technology leader driving growth and initiative in the Environmental and Human Health Science markets. The company is a leading force in the development, production, marketing, servicing, and support of laboratory instrumentation and ancillary services throughout the world.
Job Title: Lab Support - Scientific Services Specialist
Location: RTP, NC
Type of Assignment: Fulltime
- The Scientific Services Specialist carries out analyzing, measuring, recording, and organizing deliverables for samples testing at a client site.
Core Job Duties:
- Liaison between Scientists and Client Facilities Instrument & Calibration (Metrology) regarding pipettes; ensures scientists follow procedures to keep pipettes with appropriate calibration standards. [scientists provides technical knowledge]
- Maintain a laboratory notebook [PAPER or ELECTRONIC] for all samples processed; archive paper records to Iron Mountain
- Request solutions from Client Development Sciences (Media Preparation) ( scientist provides technical knowledge]; may require coordination of costs and timing
- Maintain and communicate assignment (by person/program/other) of all freezer and refrigerator space (units, shelves, further divisions of shelves) to Client staff
- Ship and receive samples (bench scale, small packages, ambient/refrigerated/frozen) between client site, between client and contract laboratories, between client and off-site long term storage facilities
- Request and maintain on-site Analytical Development reference standard inventories
- As needed, run reports of sample retain information from Labware LIMS system
- With direction of client program representatives, organize and track retains
- Notify CLIO team for updates to laboratory instrument information (equipment and software) and maintenance plan updates [ scientist provides technical knowledge]
- Requests emergency and corrective maintenance repair for lab related items
- Complete deviations for out of tolerance CRITICAL pipettes
- Archive Client paper files to Iron Mountain, updating TD inventory of records sent for offsite storage while keeping compliance to Client Iron Mountain requirements
- Maintains lab coats and orders lab coats for new employees; Review and report discrepancies to Client supplier
- Respond to DAS alarm calls WITHIN business hours, this activity requires the availability to attend to failing freezers on site in order to transfer critical inventory and complete follow-up to bring units back into service
- Respond to DAS alarm calls OUTSIDE business hours, this activity requires the availability to attend to failing freezers on site in order to transfer critical inventory and complete follow-up to bring units back into service
- Report EHS related non-compliance and facilitate remedial plans to bring TD back into compliance
- Perform data tabulation activities to support scientists; process raw data in Excel
- Perform non-quantitative aliquotting of method controls; Deliver aliquots to scientists
- Equipment uptime readiness maintenance, systems include BioHT, Viacell, BGA among others
- Tasks may include changing packs, running calibration controls, day of use checks, and sample preparations
- Request solutions from Client Development Sciences (Media Preparation) [TD scientist provides technical knowledge]; may require coordination of costs and timing
- Ship and receive samples (kilo scale) between Client and contract laboratories and between Client and off-site long term storage facilities
- Maintain appropriate chain of custody and inventory records for shipments
- Equipment uptime readiness maintenance
- Equipment uptime readiness maintenance
- Maintains Chemistry (non-flammable) lab coats and orders lab coats for new employees; review and report discrepancies to client supplier
- College degree in life science or related discipline or combination of equivalent education and work experience.
- Minimum of three years’ lab technician experience.
- Strong MS Excel skills.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Lab Environment (may need to follow Personal Protective Equipment and Safety Polices); Office Environment.
- The physical demands defined below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee will regularly require walking, standing, sitting and talking or hearing; to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Specific Position Duties
- Provides on-call response support for client site.
- Will participate in an on-call response rotation with requirement to respond to client issues outside of normal work hours.
- Response may be provided online or may require employee to report to client site to respond to issue.
Benefits at PerkinElmer
Competitive base salary and incentive compensation plan / Job training and professional development / Comprehensive benefits package / Paid time off and holidays / Tuition reimbursement plan / 401(k) with match