This job is currently Archived,
Lab Assistant I - United States
Charles River (company)
Posted on : 29 May 2017
Perform basic laboratory and record-keeping tasks. Support the functions of the in-life, necropsy and formulation/analytical groups.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Wash and dry glassware and distribute to appropriate locations within the laboratory.
- Keep glass-washing area clean and organized. May sterilize glassware and other items using an autoclave.
- Label collection tubes and perform laboratory set-up/clean-up (e.g., dusting, mopping floors, emptying & filling feed jars, etc).
- Perform basic husbandry duties such as liner changes or filling of feed jars.
- Verify and record the temperature of assigned refrigerators or freezers.
- Assist in the archiving of study-specific samples (e.g. back-up formulations, biological liquids or animal tissues).
- Assist in preparing for animal arrivals. This may include preparing cages (attaching water lines, feed jars, cage tag holders), ensuring sippers work, ensuring cages are appropriate for species being housed and placing cage tags on the holders.
- Process biological samples (e.g. plasma, serum, whole blood, urine, etc.) for possible analysis.
- Assist technical personnel with clerical duties (e.g., filing, making copies, cage tags, etc.).
- Monitor and maintain inventory and stock assigned areas (e.g. PPE Stations, 1st aid boxes).
- May record observations and measurements for basic lab/research task (e.g. behavioral evaluations).
- Handle, restrain, and transfer small to medium size animals from one location to another.
- Operate basic lab equipment and perform routine maintenance as needed.
- Perform limited troubleshooting and calibration of instruments as appropriate for assigned area.
- May be responsible for preparing simple lab solutions (e.g., buffers, media/common vehicles, bleach, and eye wash)).
- May generate reports, master data sheets, forms and hand record data.
- Perform all tasks in compliance with Good Laboratory Practice Regulations (GLPs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Transport, via company vehicles (truck, golf cart or car) supplies to multiple buildings (e.g. test articles, bio-hazard boxes, dry ice, reagents, etc
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.).
- Experience: None.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: Must have valid, state-issued, driver’s license.
- Must be detail-oriented and have general familiarity with lab procedures.
- Good verbal communication skills required.
- Basic computer skills; familiarity with Microsoft Office software.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Our company is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet