Investment Principal, Merck Global Health Innovation Fund Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
As an integral member of the Merck Global Health Innovation Fund team, the Investment Principal is an entrepreneurial individual who will be expected to conduct all aspects of investing in digital healthcare startups for a corporate venture capital fund. This includes deal sourcing, vetting, diligence, financial modeling, investing, as well as investment monitoring and governance. The Investment Principal will play a key role in transaction structuring and execution and is expected to develop and maintain a deal pipeline.
The Investment Principal will report into the COO of Merck GHI Fund and will be expected to support investment activities across the GHI Fund management team. The Investment Principal will also be expected to collaborate across Merck’s Emerging Businesses and maintain awareness of emerging opportunities related to Merck’s strategic interests.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Investment Principal will be responsible for identifying, evaluating, transacting, and managing venture investments.
Responsibilities will include but may not be limited to:
- Identify Investment Focus Areas - Define and research key areas of healthcare for investment, working across Merck Emerging Business units to ensure strategic alignment
- Identify and Evaluate Investment Opportunities – Maintain awareness of startup companies in areas of interest, conduct vetting of potential startups to identify potential investments, develop financial model, and conduct fundamental and technical due diligence
- Develop Investment Cases – Develop and present a narrative, along with financial modeling, to the investment committee that provides an assessment of the company and a business case for investment
- Lead and syndicate new investments – Negotiate terms and establish transaction structures for investments. Liaise with legal and finance to finalize term sheets and contracts.
- Manage Investments - Monitor financial and operational conditions and industry dynamics of assigned portfolio companies. Partner with portfolio companies to assess and develop their go-to-market plans and identify opportunities. Understand investment capital structure and shareholder rights to analyze portfolio and assist with quarterly reviews with senior management and, depending on experience, serving on boards or acting as board observer
- Establish Domain Thought Leadership - Develop deep sector expertise in the healthcare industry. Maintain external network of venture capitalists, investment bankers, entrepreneurs and the innovation ecosystem. Attend industry conferences and events to source deals and identify exit opportunities, and publicly represent GHI Fund.
- Ensure Internal Collaboration - Cultivate internal network of business unit leaders and applicable advisors to ensure alignment of new opportunities to strategy as appropriate. Convene startups and Merck business units to develop mutually beneficial strategic technology and commercial agreements.
- Bachelor's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum 8 years of work experience in healthcare related fields
- Minimum 5 years domain expertise in healthcare private equity and/or venture capital, strategy and business development and a strong understanding of the healthcare venture capital ecosystem
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with excellent presentation skills and executive presence.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, with high proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience leading full due diligence processes of healthcare equity investments and demonstrated ability to orchestrate all diligence resources including internal and external parties
- MBA or similar advanced degree preferred
- Experience in healthcare related venture or private equity investing is strongly preferred
- Strong knowledge of healthcare technology trends, regulation, and reimbursement
- Experience in and/or knowledge of Healthcare IT / digital health marketplace
- Deep market expertise in one or several areas of healthcare
- Experience with product/solution development in Healthcare IT / digital health
- Experience with strategic planning and strong financial acumen
- Strong project and relationship management skills; ability to multitask while maintaining attention to detail
- Experience as a board observer or in an operating role in healthcare startups
- Passion for knowledge, drive for excellence, demonstrated leadership capabilities
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Business Development
Job Title:Dir, Business Development
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Branchburg
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New Jersey
Job Segment: Medical, Business Development, Medical Technology, Equity, Strategic Planning, Healthcare, Sales, Finance, Strategy