Internship project: Up-stream Processing (Wageningen) Wageningen Netherlands,
Period: 5-6 months
Micreos Food Safety is part of Micreos B.V. and it is located in the “Food Valley” Wageningen. It develops natural phage products against pathogenic bacteria in the food chain and is regarded as market leader in this field.
Phageguard LISTEX™, the company's product against the deadly Listeria monocytogenes (well known for its risk to pregnant women), is used globally by food processing companies. It is a culture of safe, natural phages, against Listeria in meat, cheese, fish, vegetables, fruit and other food products. Today, LISTEX helps many food processors in their fight against Listeria, without any effect on the properties of the treated food product. This means it leaves desired bacteria in place, i.e. in starter cultures for cheese production. Recently, Micreos food safety introduced a new product (Phageguard S™), which is effective against Salmonella.
The goal of this internship is to support Micreos in process development initiatives for current and future products. Specifically, the focus will be on evaluation of the main components of the media with regards to Listeria’s growth, and estimation of the regarding kinetic parameters.
- Studying the research and production results obtained at Micreos Food Safety B.V.
- Preparing a brief literature review report on Listeria growth, kinetics, limiting parameters and media components
- Maintaining an adequate lab journal, organizing data and writing summary reports
- Design and perform experiments for media optimization with regards to vitamins and amino acids
- Operate lab-scale bioreactors
- Perform measurement/analysis on bacterial growth, substrate consumption and bacteriophage production
- BSc or MSc in Microbiology, Biotechnology or related
- Strong interest in working with bacteria, bacteriophages and exploring new (research) areas
- Experience with sterile and/or aseptic methods is strongly preferred
As an intern in Micreos, you will work mostly in ML2 labs. You will be trained and supervised to excel your skills in general lab activities, measurement techniques for the key parameters in growth and phage production and also operating parallel bioreactors. Basic academic background in biotechnology, biochemical engineering, microbiology, food or related disciplines is required.
To apply for this internship, please send your resume (max. two pages) along with a brief application letter to Froukje de Jong email@example.com
Find a Job Find Candidates