BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The internship in the IP Legal group will provide the opportunity to develop
(1) A basic understanding in various substantive and administrative aspects of intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks and licenses;
(2) Research and writing skills in general and more specifically related to intellectual property; and
(3) Practical experience in basic intellectual property law practice.
- Conduct IP legal research on specific and current issues in the practice of intellectual property law (e.g. patent, trademark, trade secret) and prepare memoranda based on such research
- Assist and interact with members of IP department (attorneys, administrative staff) in basic activities related to IP prosecution and maintenance e.g. administrative and substantive aspects of filing patent and trademark applications, prosecuting applications, and maintaining patents and registrations
Research skills such ability to search legal and scientific databases
Analytical and communication skills such as experience in preparing legal memoranda and making group presentations
Interest in IP law
Practical scientific experience such as working in a lab, reviewing scientific publications
Practical legal experience such as interning at law firm most preferably an IP law firm
Preferred: Degree in Science (e.g. Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Immunology, etc.)
Desired: Law student
All members of IP legal group
Dev Sci: Research and development, Program management
There are no persons reporting to the intern.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.