Responsible for the accurate and timely preparation and review of Indirect Tax returns, managing audits, monitoring the sales tax tables in Vertex, preparing tax accounting entries, and serves as a technical resource for all transactional taxes, property taxes and other taxes (i.e. gross receipts taxes).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the preparation and review of transaction tax filings, including sales & use tax, property taxes, gross receipts taxes, unclaimed property and business licenses.
- Manage the Indirect Tax function to ensure compliance with all laws and regulations, as well as minimize risk and exposure.
- Participate in ERP system’s design, maintenance, and implementation related to indirect tax matters to ensure compliance, enhance efficiency and minimize expense.
- Identify and implement Indirect Tax planning opportunities.
- Manage sales and use tax audits, including gathering information, responding to audit requests, negotiating with tax authorities, tax research and assisting in preparing appeals.
- Research and document sales and use tax issues and keep current on transaction tax developments.
- Prepare and review monthly tax reconciliations for the tax liability accounts.
- Review monthly use tax accruals for accuracy. Collaborate with the business and accounts payable group as to the proper taxation of purchases.
- Extract data from financial systems for sales and use tax filings; maintain tax software and processes.
- Maintain documentation in accordance with SOX requirements.
- Ensure processes are in place to obtain sales tax exemption certificates and periodically audit those processes for compliance.
- Manage and perform special projects as needed.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in Finance, Accounting, or related discipline. MBA or Masters in Taxation preferred.
- Experience: Five plus years transactional tax related experience and training. Life Science or Biotech industry experience preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Other: Knowledge of SAP required. Expert knowledge of Excel required. Knowledge of Vertex software and VAT preferred. Experience in handling state and local tax audits effectively. Self-starter with the ability to work autonomously.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet