Indirect Tax Manager - United States
Charles River (company)
Responsible for the accurate and timely preparation and review of Indirect Tax returns, managing audits, monitoring the sales tax tables in Vertex, preparing tax accounting entries, and serves as a technical resource for all transactional taxes, property taxes and other taxes (i.e. gross receipts taxes).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the preparation and review of transaction tax filings, including sales & use tax, property taxes, gross receipts taxes, unclaimed property and business licenses.
- Manage the Indirect Tax function to ensure compliance with all laws and regulations, as well as minimize risk and exposure.
- Participate in ERP system’s design, maintenance, and implementation related to indirect tax matters to ensure compliance, enhance efficiency and minimize expense.
- Identify and implement Indirect Tax planning opportunities.
- Manage sales and use tax audits, including gathering information, responding to audit requests, negotiating with tax authorities, tax research and assisting in preparing appeals.
- Research and document sales and use tax issues and keep current on transaction tax developments.
- Prepare and review monthly tax reconciliations for the tax liability accounts.
- Review monthly use tax accruals for accuracy. Collaborate with the business and accounts payable group as to the proper taxation of purchases.
- Extract data from financial systems for sales and use tax filings; maintain tax software and processes.
- Maintain documentation in accordance with SOX requirements.
- Ensure processes are in place to obtain sales tax exemption certificates and periodically audit those processes for compliance.
- Manage and perform special projects as needed.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in Finance, Accounting, or related discipline. MBA or Masters in Taxation preferred.
- Experience: Five plus years transactional tax related experience and training. Life Science or Biotech industry experience preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Other: Knowledge of SAP required. Expert knowledge of Excel required. Knowledge of Vertex software and VAT preferred. Experience in handling state and local tax audits effectively. Self-starter with the ability to work autonomously.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet