For nearly 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking an experienced Histology Technician III for our Safety Assessment site located in Frederick, MD.
Independently perform advanced histology functions in support of preclinical studies. Prepare and review documentation and perform quality control review of study data. Provide expertise in the area of histology to other staff and visitors as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Independently perform basic histology (trimming, embedding, microtomy, staining) and advanced histology (slide QC, special stains, plastics, and serial/step sectioning).
- Prepare responses to audits, deviations, and other documentation from internal and external reviews of data.
- Review laboratory documents for accuracy, completeness and compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), and study specific requirements
- Perform method development experiments to trouble shoot technical challenges, and/or offer solutions to technical challenges
- Demonstrated creative problem solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions
- Prepare study specific procedure documentation.
- Assist in training staff junior to this level; may serve as a mentor to junior staff.
- Serve as lead study technician, which may require attendance of study meetings and/or conduct of meetings, preparation of study documents, and monitoring of study in the lab.
- May independently perform basic necropsy procedures (basic dissection, tissue collection/preservation, fresh tissue trimming, sample collection).
- May assist with and perform specialized necropsy procedures (collection of tissues for special procedures, specialized dissection, neurodissection, photography, etc.).
- Strong ability to quickly learn new skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated accountability and responsibility for own work.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
The following are minimum requirements related to the Histology Technician III position.
- Education: High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.) required. Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in a biological science preferred.
- Experience: 3 years of pathology laboratory experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: HT (ASCP) or HTL (ASCP) required.
- Other: Placement at this level requires successful completion/competency of the required tasks of the position preceding this level and continued ability to perform those tasks are required. Must be able to perform effectively as a team member, accurately record data, follow verbal and written instructions, maintain a positive work atmosphere, communicate effectively, and interact in a professional manner with management, coworkers, and sponsors.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet