- Perform basic histology procedures (processing, embedding, microtomy, cryosectioning, staining, coverslipping and slide scanning) in accordance with scheduling and quality measures.
- Conduct all slide labeling and tissue cassette printing
- Learn and perform advanced histology procedures (slide QC, special stains, thick/thin sectioning).
- Perform necropsy procedures including but not limited to; blood and tissue collection, fixation (including perfusion, snap freezing, OCT embedding), fresh tissue trimming and organ weights.
- Be able to differentiate normal from abnormal tissue.
- Learn/know correct anatomic terms.
- Receive samples, complete tracking documentation, and prepare pathology materials and data for shipment and archiving.
- Maintain accurate instrument records including but not limited to; performance, maintenance reagent usage and waste disposal.
- Assist in maintaining all necessary supplies to ensure the running of necropsy and core histology procedures.
- Receive, label and store laboratory supplies.
- Participate in the development and implementation of core histology-specific guidance documents.
- Adhere to all core histology operational procedures and all required documentation related to the function.
- Conduct routine quality assurance through self-inspection to confirm that core histology standards are met.
- Maintain required attendance level and adherence to work schedule.
- Under the direction of the pathology management, assist in training of junior staff.
- Review laboratory documents for accuracy, completeness and compliance to study specific requirements.
- Be adherent to all CRL and client health and safety practices and procedures
- May cross-train in other areas of pathology.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Associates degree or equivalent in a biological science preferred.
- Experience: 3 years of pathology laboratory experience
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: HT (ASCP) or HTL (ASCP) preferred.
- Placement at this level requires successful completion/competency of the required tasks of the position preceding this level.
- Other: Knowledge of Health & Safety standards and department policies and procedures. Must be able to perform effectively as a team member, accurately record data, follow verbal and written instructions, maintain a positive work atmosphere, communicate effectively, and interact in a professional manner with management, coworkers, and sponsors. Placement at this level requires successful completion/competency of the required tasks of the position(s) preceding this level. Experience with computer software programs is preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity