For nearly 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.Business Summary
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.Responsibilities
We are seeking a Histology Supervisor for our Safety Assessment site located in Frederick, MD.
Oversee the histology laboratory and associated technical personnel. Act as the primary point of contact in matters pertaining to area of responsibility within the laboratory. Responsible for adherence to established guidelines of this area..
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Oversee daily operational activities and supervise a group of non-exempt employees. Ensure optimum group performance.
- Manage inventory and supply ordering.
- Oversee development of special procedures (technical specialties, difficult protocol-specific processes, etc.).
- Provide guidance and training to less experienced histology staff.
- Supervise departmental procedures for sample receipt, handling, tracking, transfer, and shipping
- Assist technical staff as needed in all laboratory tasks to ensure timely completion of study related activities.
- Assist in coordination, planning and scheduling of laboratory projects.
- Assist pathology management in ensuring sufficient and appropriate resources (personnel, equipment, facilities, etc.) are available to perform laboratory procedures.
- Responsible for personnel management activities such as: scheduling, personnel actions (hiring, promotions, transfers, etc.), training and development, providing regular direction and feedback on performance, disciplinary actions and preparing and delivering annual performance and salary reviews.
- Recommend short-range operating objectives, organizational structure, staffing requirements and succession plans.
- May assist in development of departmental budget.
- As required, oversee maintenance of group training manual and training records.
- Support the policy of equal employment opportunity through affirmative action in personnel actions.
- Ensure adherence to pertinent regulatory requirements and to departmental policies, practices and procedures [SOPs, safety procedures and biosafety protocols].
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in a biological science preferred.
- Experience: 4 years of pathology laboratory experience. Previous supervisory or management experience preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above
- Placement at this level requires successful completion/competency of the required tasks of the position(s) preceding this level and continued ability to perform those tasks are required.
- Certification/Licensure: HT (ASCP) or HTL (ASCP) preferred.
- Other: Must be able to perform effectively as a team member, accurately record data, follow verbal and written instructions, maintain a positive work atmosphere, communicate effectively, and interact in a professional manner with management, coworkers, and sponsors. Experience with computer software programs is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet