Health Systems Oncology Medical Affairs Team Lead (Central USA) Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Merck’s Oncology organization is dedicated to delivering breakthrough innovations that extend and improve the lives of cancer patients worldwide. Our team of dauntless, forward-thinking individuals achieves this through an unwavering commitment to supporting accessibility to medicine, providing new therapeutic procedures, and collaborating with governments and payers to ensure that people who need medicines have access to them. At Merck, our focus is on innovation and launch execution excellence; we translate breakthrough science into innovative medicines that help people with cancer across the globe.
The Health Systems Oncology Medical Affairs Team Leader’s (HSO MATL) primary role is the leadership, management and accountability of a regionally based team of ~10-12 National and Regional Health System Oncology Medical Affairs Directors (HSO MAD). The HSO MATL holds responsibility for the field execution of the HSO Medical Affairs (MA) strategy, execution and prioritization of the Merck portfolio across various national and regional health systems payer and provider accounts (e.g., health plan, PBM, gov’t, IDS, employer). A critical part of the role is the ongoing interface with other medical affairs and commercial account management leadership around medical account management and execution, serving as the key leadership interface between medical affairs and account management leadership. Given the regional and national perview of the HSO MATL, this role serves as a key source of market insight back to Merck across the different account types within the health system.
- Leadership and Management:
- Recruiting, on-boarding, training and management of a team of field-based health systems oncology medical affairs professionals.
- Responsible for all aspects of the performance management process, including assessment of HSO MAD performance to objectives and competencies. Assessment is accomplished by field observation/coaching visits, call discussions, colleague/ program development feedback and field/customer metric analysis. Personal development plans are developed and monitored for each HSO MAD.
- Responsible for the oversight of portfolio product launches and in-line product support plans, including the execution of the plans by the team, insuring appropriate, balanced support opposite the HSO portfolio prioritization and account segmentation via the HSO RMAP.
- Provides insights back to HQ from internal and external stakeholders across the entire health systems continuum.
- Effectively communicates and coordinates with MM&P, IDS, USMA and CORE leadership to oversee strategic account plans and associated medical account plans; ensure execution of medical activities in alignment with agreed plans.
- Collaborate with commercial leader colleagues to ensure national and regional account coverage in evolving health systems landscape.
- Maintains a macro view of the market to appropriately develop and allocate Merck medical affairs resources to best address key opportunities and threats.
- Facilitate communication with Senior HQ leadership to ensure successful execution with key national and regional accounts.
- Represent HSO team on internal cross functional work streams (e.g., IDS initiative, oncology registry, IDS mapping)
- Responsible for ensuring that all team members comply with the intent and application of regulations and Merck policies in the field environment.
Strategic Planning and Project Management:
- Supports the Executive Director Medical Affairs (EDMA) and HSO MASL in the development and execution of the HSO RMAP across the full Merck portfolio and across key account segments (e.g., payer, IDS, gov’t).
- Leads the medical account planning and management process across all HS assigned national and regional accounts, insuring appropriate account planning and execution in coordination with MM&P, IDS, USMA and CORE functions as appropriate.
- Partners with MM&P and IDS leadership to develop strategic market plans and associated medical activities and oversee execution of said medical activities.
- Provides significant input into annual resource development plan by HSO MASL and coordinates the utilization of resources to assist with the HSO MAD team
- Provide input into annual HS medical meeting coverage plan and provides leadership and oversight of HSO MAD medical meeting attendance.
- As needed, provides project support to the national US Medical Affairs organization.
- Provides input into annual budget planning process for HSO MAD team through deep understanding of anticipated next year needs.
- Effectively supports the management of HSO-MAD team budget
- Review and approve routine expense reports, as applicable and appropriate
- Advanced healthcare/science doctoral degree (e.g., MD, PharmD, PhD)
- A minimum of five (5) years of field-medical experience, including 3+ years of demonstrated ability to effectively lead and coach field medical colleagues as a front-line manager
- Deep knowledge of health systems environment – payer and provider – as well as principles and process of medical account management.
- Thorough knowledge of clinical medicine, US health care delivery system structure and function, pharmacoeconomics, population health management, quality management, value-based payment and health care delivery policy and trends.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Strong teamwork capabilities (including the ability to lead across a full product portfolio and multiple customer segments)
- Strong track record of effective development and management of multiple cross-functional leadership relationships
- Strong personal integrity, collaborative mindset, business acumen and customer focus
- Thorough understanding of the FDA, OIG, HIPAA and other ethical guidelines relevant to the pharmaceutical industry to ensure compliance with all external and internal guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and work effectively in a constantly changing environment and to motivate a team to do the same.
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access), and ability to interface effectively with a variety of technical platforms for the collection, review, and dissemination of medical information and team execution.
- Experience in a front-line management role leading field medical colleagues working with health systems accounts
- Scientific/medical research experience, including demonstrated record of scientific/medical publication.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Medical Affairs Generic Field Based ONC
Job Title:Dir, Medical Affairs
Primary Location: NA-US-IL-Chicago
Other Locations: NA-US-MN-Minneapolis, NA-US-TX-Dallas, NA-US-MO-St. Louis
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Chicago
Job Segment: Medical, Oncology, Manager, Pharmaceutical, Strategic Planning, Healthcare, Management, Science, Strategy