Head of Total Rewards - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- As a key member of our company’s HR Leadership Team, the Head of Total Reward (TR) will report directly to the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) and be responsible for providing leadership of our Total Reward activity and investment across the compensation and benefits spectrum, covering all parts of the organization to ensure that our company is able to attract, hire, retain and motivate great candidates and that the Company maintains a competitive and dynamic approach to recognition and reward.
- The Head of TR will oversee the full range of compensation and benefits programs in accordance with company’s policies and standards – and the guidance of the CEO and Board of Directors. This will extend – but not be limited to – salaries, bonuses and short term incentives, equity plans and long term incentives, retirement benefits, health insurance and other employee protections.
- The Head of TR will partner closely with senior business leaders, hiring managers and HR Business Partners to understand business needs and build appropriate strategies to meet these needs. Payroll will also be a key partner to ensure effective delivery of the selected programs.
- The Head of TR will need to be analytically capable and able to strategically manage company’s investment in employees through the various current and future TR programs in place. This will extend to developing and implementing performance metrics to assess the effectiveness of company’s TR investment.
- The Head of TR should also have a close involvement in the utilization of the HR Information Systems (HRIS) tools used to support the business, including – as needed – supporting the deployment of new HRIS tools, and ensuring that the needs of TR programs are clearly understood and integrated in the selection of new HRIS tools and their integration with existing systems and processes within the employee life cycle.
- The Head of TR will work as an integrated member of the HR leadership team to build a clear understanding of the capability needs of the organization and build a clear and actionable plan to meet these evolving needs.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Provide strategic leadership to the Company’s TR activity.
- Establish a clear, detailed understanding of the competitive environment in which company operates in all markets to serve as a sustainable basis for planning and managing the Company’s investment in TR.
- Develop and secure approval for new or adapted programs as necessary to ensure that company is able to attract, hire, retain and motivate staff of the right caliber to deliver on its strategic objectives.
- Drive the deployment of agreed programs to ensure effective implementation:
- Ensure that the right support and infrastructure are in place to ensure efficient program deployment.
- Ensure compliance in the design and delivery of all programs.
- Monitor return on investment to ensure that selected programs are delivering expected returns.
- Ensure that programs are effectively and clearly communicated to staff and that there is a clear understanding of the value of the programs.
- Coach and counsel managers on the programs to ensure that clear understanding is achieved and that they can effectively explain the TR programs to staff.
- Work in partnership with other centers of expertise within HR and HR Business Partners to provide counsel to hiring managers when developing offer proposals, utilizing external market data and internal compensation analysis tools.
- Manage the annual cycles, including but not limited to the compensation review, annual equity grants and open enrolment.
- Provide support to the CEO and CHRO in working with the Compensation Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Manage vendors as appropriate to deliver the agreed TR programs. Follow internal authority and engage with Procurement as appropriate.
- Play a leadership role in ensuring that the HR function has an efficient and comprehensive infrastructure of clear and simple processes and procedures that underpin the TR programs.
- Ensure that company’s TR programs operate in a compliant fashion and that the Company is able to execute on all compliance and reporting obligations.
- Provide support and expert input on evaluating the HR implications of merger and acquisition opportunities and participate in integration activities as and when required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree highly preferred.
- Minimum of 10-15 years relevant Human Resources experience with a focus around total rewards.
- Experienced compensation and/or benefits leader, with prior responsibility for overall benefit plan strategy, program design and deployment management.
- Strong analytical skills coupled with financial discipline; has the capability to manage significant budgetary responsibilities.
- Ability to undertake competitive benchmarking and process the outcomes of the benchmarking in to meaningful analysis and recommendations for action.
- Extensive experience with equity compensation and other long term incentives, including plan design and administration.
- Able to design and deploy effective bonus plans and other short term incentives.
- Prior experience in contributing to business development activities; from due diligence through merger & acquisition to integration.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to think in the big picture, while also being disciplined and detail oriented.
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to communicate effectively with Board of Directors, senior leaders and employees at all levels.
- Strong consultative skills, with the ability to partner with and influence leaders across the organization.
- Excellent team leader and developer of people.