Head of Medical, UK & Ireland - United Kingdom
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
|External Posting Title||Head of Medical, UK & Ireland|
|Job Description||In line with the worldwide medical strategy, the Head of Medical, UKI will drive the medical strategy development and execution for the country. As one of the largest European markets for Biogen, UKI is well positioned for future growth, and therefore, this is a highly visible and critical role. This individual will set the strategic direction for the UK as well as the Affiliate Medical Team Ireland, providing a significant voice at the leadership table and championing alignment on a global platform. He or she will be accountable for local medical activities including pharmacovigilance, clinical trials, medical information, medical governance for all products as appropriate for the given markets, and building/maintaining trusted medical/scientific relationships with healthcare community stakeholders.|
Reporting to the Vice President of EU+ Medical, the Head of Medical, UKI, will lead a results-focused team of approximately 20 through six direct reports and be an embraced member of the UKI Affiliate Leadership Team.
The Head of Medical, UKI will:
• Establish and promote the medical and scientific reputation of the UKI affiliate; develop strong peer-to-peer scientific partnerships with thought leaders and other health care stakeholders in alignment with the overall Biogen strategy.
• Collaborate with the mid-sized and smaller affiliates (Ireland, in this case) to leverage subject matter expertise and pooled resources from the UK in order to optimize use of resources and spend across countries as needed.
• Develop and lead a high-quality medical team with a specific focus on the field medical organization; assess current talent and identify growth and development opportunities, fostering a culture of high performance and urgency, ensuring that Biogen’s Medical leaders of the future are mentored for succession and retained.
• Lead development of the affiliate Medical plan aligned with regional and worldwide Medical plans, partnering with affiliate management teams, including Market Access, Marketing and Sales, and other functions to define, establish and execute a coherent local business plan that addresses patient needs; identify measurable goals and KPIs to ensure execution of the local medical affairs plan.
• Identify current and future unmet medical needs, addressing those needs to EU+ Regional Medical, and generating short-, mid-, and long-term plans.
• Play a key leadership role within EU+ Regional Medical, including providing best-practice sharing across countries, therapeutic areas, and products.
• Partner and collaborate with Commercial and Market Access to demonstrate medical value of Biogen products relevant to local external stakeholders (payors, HCPs, agencies) and patients, which may include providing input to clinical trials (pre- and post-marketing), developing and executing phase IV studies, registries, and patient support programs.
• Act as a local partner for R&D for pipeline and new products.
• Develop and manage the Medical budget, providing input into the affiliate budgeting and planning process.
• Support regulatory strategies for registration of new products by providing local expertise.
• Ensure compliance and governance with external laws and internal regulations regarding the appropriate conduct of affiliate Medical activities.
|Job Category||Global Medical/Medical Affairs|
• A minimum 8 years of pharmaceutical industry experience with a strong medical affairs focus and background within , progressive, fast-paced, sophisticated biotech and/or pharmaceutical companies. Sub-specialty training in Pharmaceutical Medicine would be an advantage;
• Proven success recruiting, developing, leading, and retaining , high-performing, diverse field-based teams, driving paradigm shifts and a culture of accountability and continuous improvement, within a large, highly-matrixed, complex, top-tier business organization:
• Business savvy and executive presence/confidence coupled with outstanding communication, negotiation, and cross-functional relationship-building skills needed to engage effectively and credibly with both external and internal stakeholders—including scientifically oriented and data-driven executive management, the commercial organization, KOLs, peers, and team;
• A tangible sense of urgency, passion for the science and business, and the ability to drive seamless change that adds value throughout the organization and to patients;
• An astute understanding of the changing needs and challenges faced by field medical teams with increased use of digital interfaces, and the ability to introduce innovations on how to approach the market; experience with and comfort in navigating multi-channel approaches;
• Dynamic, innovative, nimble, proactive, results-driven, with an entrepreneurial “can do” attitude;
• Strong EQ with the ability to inspire enthusiasm and commitment from others;
• Well-rounded combination of strategic perspective, tactical operational expertise, strong analytical skills, financial acumen, and sound judgment who can think broadly, coupled with an aptitude to challenge assumptions and the courage to make tough decisions;
• Unwavering integrity coupled with the highest level of personal and professional ethics;
• Knowledge of all aspects of drug development, GCP and local regulations, including regulations of promotional materials. Familiarity with global/EU regulations;
• Experience as an ABPI Final Signatory
• Experience in reimbursement applications and processes in the UK and Ireland;
• Experience with MAA processes for new drug applications;
• Experience successfully handling critical media relations;
• Fluency in English;
• MD degree required, with a Diploma in Pharmaceutical Medicine preferred but not required.
|About Biogen||Biogen (NASDAQ: BIIB) is a biotechnology leader that discovers, develops and delivers innovative therapies for the treatment of neurodegenerative and rare diseases. Patients worldwide benefit every day from our medicines for multiple sclerosis (MS) and hemophilia. |
Founded in 1978, Biogen is one of the world’s oldest independent biotechnology companies. Our development pipeline is focused on areas of high unmet medical need, as we pursue new therapies for patients suffering from diseases with few or no treatment options. These include programs for Alzheimer’s Disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson’s disease, spinal muscular atrophy and neuropathic pain amongst others.
With more than 7,000 people worldwide, Biogen is truly a global organization. We are headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, which is home to our research operations. Our international operations are based in Zug, Switzerland and we have world-class manufacturing facilities in North Carolina and Denmark. We offer therapies globally through direct affiliate presence in 30 countries and a network of distribution partners in over 50 additional countries.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Biogen is an E-Verify Employer in the United States.
Please be advised that all legitimate correspondence from a Biogen employee will come from "@biogen.com" email accounts.
Job Segment: Biotech, Pharmaceutical, Pharmaceutical Sales, PR, Science, Sales, Research, Marketing