Department Marketing Statement
For nearly 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We have an opportunity for a highly motivated and experienced Group Leader to join our growing Integrated Biology Team in our state of the art labs in Saffron Walden, UK. The department is responsible for a wide range of pre-clinical drug discovery activities, including target identification, assay development, hit finding, compound profiling, mechanism of action and translational biology studies.
In this role you will be a key member of the Integrated Biology management team, line managing a team of biologists who develop, optimize and execute in vitro biological assays for a range of target classes to support small molecule drug discovery projects. In addition, you will be the biology lead for integrated projects working closely with chemistry and ADME/PK colleagues both within CRL and through clients across a variety of therapeutic areas. You will also provide strategic, technical and project leadership for client projects and interact with key colleagues from our business development team to deliver new project proposals and engage new clients.
The ideal candidate for this role will have demonstrated successful team/group, project & in vitro biology leadership skills in an industrial environment, and have direct experience of progressing compounds from the discovery through to clinical candidate selection phases.
- Provide scientific and strategic leadership to client project teams and the department.
- Line manage one or more drug discovery teams
- Help to recruit, motivate and develop talented individuals for a variety of technical roles
- Ensure a high level of scientific rigour is maintained on all programs
- Maintain a current awareness of drug discovery technologies and approaches relevant for integrated projects through to candidate nomination, (e.g. screening cascades for compound advancement, target engagement, biomarker strategies, etc.)
- Interface directly with clients and internal customers to understand needs and deliverables and define appropriate strategies (scientific and economic) that will deliver revenue and margin goals
- Work with BD team to maintain client satisfaction and identify and secure new business
The following are minimum requirements related to the Group Leader, Integrated Biology position.
- BSc in a relevant biology discipline
- Extensive experience in a team or group leader role within a drug discovery department/organisation
- Project management experience within drug discovery environment – preferably small molecule.
- Demonstrable expertise in establishing and running in vitro assay cascades supporting drug discovery projects
- Experience mentoring and supervising more junior scientists is essential.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
Discovery from Charles River is industry-proven in the successful development of novel therapies, with over 320 patents and 74 preclinical drug candidates delivered to our sponsors in the past 17 years. Backed by more than 650 scientists, our comprehensive, integrated portfolio employs the latest technology and platforms to provide chemistry, biology, and pharmacology services that support clients from the earliest stages of hit identification all the way through to IND. Our client-focused, collaborative approach creates true partnerships that anticipate challenges, overcome obstacles, and move us forward together on the journey of getting new drugs to market.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet