Department Marketing Statement
Charles River is one of the world’s largest Contract Research Organisations with more than 11,000 employees throughout 70 facilities in 16 countries and a market leader in the provision of product development services. At Charles River, we take a passionate approach to improving human and animal health. Our company is uniquely designed to meet the needs of our clients in the Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology, Veterinary Medicine and Agrochemical sectors.
A key member of the Integrated Biology Operational Management team; this role will provide strong scientific, operational and strategic leadership to multiple project teams in the Cambridge Integrated Biology Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide scientific and strategic leadership to client project teams.
- Help to recruit, motivate and develop top talented individuals for a variety of technical roles.
- Lead efforts to establish cross site consistency and exchange of best practice in integrated drug discovery project support.
- Provide scientific and strategic leadership to the departmental project leaders on all aspects of in vitro biology/pharmacology - look to maintain and improve efficiency and capacity of the team through automation, communication, outsourcing and innovation.
- Ensure a high level of scientific standard is maintained on all programs.
- Maintain a current awareness of drug discovery technologies and approaches relevant for integrated projects through to candidate nomination, (e.g. screening cascades for compound advancement, target engagement, biomarker strategies, etc.)
- Interface directly with clients and internal customers to understand needs and deliverables and define appropriate strategies (scientific and economic) that will deliver revenue and margin goals.
- Work with BD team to maintain client satisfaction and identify and secure new business.
- Contribute to the management and performance of the Biological Sciences group through participation at relevant meetings and taking on selected responsibilities relevant to the role (e.g. recruitment of staff, etc.)
- Visible role model to junior colleagues by demonstrating effective communication, project management & representation of CRL discovery capabilities.
Education: BSc in a relevant discipline. PhD in a relevant discipline is desired.
Experience: Extensive experience in a Team Leader role within a drug discovery department/ organization (academic/industry). Experience in immunology, oncology, metabolism or CNS is desired.
Other: Familiarity with a variety of in vitro assay technologies and data handling software. Experience in target validation, hit ID and integrated drug discovery projects. Expertise in utilizing biochemical and cell based assays for drug discovery projects. Experience in a range of drug discovery activities from Hit ID, target validation through providing strategic leadership to integrated multidisciplinary project teams.