Graduate Software Engineer - Battery and Hybrid systems - United Kingdom
- Our company is a global provider of pioneering engineering, research and test services to the automotive, defense, aerospace and rail sectors.
- We work in close collaboration with vehicle manufacturers and suppliers around the world, providing comprehensive support ranging from individual product tests to turnkey engineering design, development and build programmes.
- With over 70 years’ experience in developing some of the world’s most iconic vehicles, our engineers utilise the latest test facilities and simulation tools to make vehicles and journeys safer, cleaner, more efficient and rewarding.
- The new position is to support continued growth of the xEV/ BMS Software Simulations and Modelling team.
The primary role within the team is:
- Software simulation and modelling of electric vehicle propulsion systems, including hybrid control and battery management (BMS) strategies.
- Working with requirements at system and software level.
- Appreciation of Functional Safety.
- Broad understanding of Electrical and Electronic systems.
- Technical knowledge of at least some elements of electric/hybrid vehicle powertrains.
Desirable experience for this role would include:
- Domain knowledge of Vehicle Propulsion Batteries (including modelling of cells and battery management strategies).
- Development of hybrid vehicle control strategies in Simulink.
- MIL, SIL and HIL validation methods.
- Specific exposure to automotive functional safety (ISO26262).
- Working with configuration management and change management systems.
- Proficiency in C programming.
- Demonstrable experience in working to full software V-Cycle.
- Understanding of vehicle control architectures
- Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow skills for development of software control strategies and plant models.
- Software modelling of electric vehicle propulsion systems including hybrid powertrain control, ancillary system control and battery management strategies.
- Automotive strategy development through prototype modelling, utilising Matlab / Simulink / Stateflow.
- Concept and development documentation.
- Relevant engineering degree with a minimum of 2:1.
- Higher degree (relevant MSc, Eng. D or Ph.D.)
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, able to convey technical content to team members with differing technical ability
- Be a self-starter and able to execute designated tasks accurately and within timing and budget constraints
- Have well-developed analytical skills – rigorous but pragmatic
- Used to working in a team – adopts a collaborative and open working ethos and also demonstrates the ability to perform critical reviews
- Be willing to travel and work flexibly: The job is likely to involve periods of 1 week at a time spent overseas approximately 2 or 3 times per yea
- The job may also involve extended placements at customer facilities within the UK.
- Be willing to engage in the security clearance process for UK MoD contracts.
- Have a full UK driving license.