- The Government Affairs & Public Policy person is responsible for identifying emerging national public policy issues that impact emerging treatments and pipeline drug candidates to shape the policy environment into which we may launch.
- Will work together with the communications and patient advocacy colleague to establish a holistic corporate affairs strategy and programme for Spain addressing key stakeholders such as policy makers, politicians, patient advocacy groups, media and industry federations and supporting all components of the business (MS, SMA, BBU and AD) and ensuring an optimal alignment within the affiliate and towards the external stakeholders.
- The Government Affairs & Public Policy person is a member of the country leadership team, representing the CA function.
- Develops and executes the government affairs strategy by developing relationships with key elected political leaders and their staffs, relevant ministry and other senior key health policy administrators/government agency officials to advance national policy goals
- Ensures a seamless corporate affairs approach and strategy for Spain, in alignment with regional strategy and together with communications and PAG colleague
- Monitors the policy and political environment for salient and emerging issues and determines those of greatest impact to the market in Spain and business across Europe
- Identifies opportunities and threats in the legislative process to advance or defend identified company’s policy objectives
- Working in collaboration with internal stakeholders and functional leadership, including Country, Market Access, Commercial, Regulatory, Clinical Operations Heads, and Public Affairs, the Public Policy & Government Affairs identifies opportunities and threats in the legislative process to advance or defend identified BIIB policy objectives
- Develops an understanding of key BIIB policy issues in all areas (reimbursement, regulatory, intellectual property, market access, fraud and abuse, etc.) to be able to effectively represent BIIB with government officials, trade associations, and other key constituents as well as leverage internal functional experts as appropriate
- Communicates key strategy and drives tactical planning cycle within established company processes, including the integrated product planning process and business reviews. Ensures that business areas are informed of government initiatives and/or policies that may present a threat or opportunity to the home countries and or company’s short and long-term planning objectives
- Coordinate with other members of the European Corporate Affairs function to develop and implement advocacy plans to support company’s business objectives through a pan-European public policy advocacy strategy
- Serves as company representative at national industry trade associations on political and government affairs strategies.
- Ensures that each association’s policy and political decisions are aligned with BIIB objectives and that critical BIIB policy concerns are appropriately elevated to the advocacy agenda.
- Develops and executes strategies for leveraging the work of trade associations to advance goals.
- Supports the managing director and other internal stakeholders engaged with the trade associations to ensure that political considerations are appropriately addressed
- 8-10 years government and/or government affairs experience with in depth knowledge in Spain or proven track of leadership and potential if promoted within BIIB
- In-depth understanding of the policy making process, both formal and informal
- Strong organizational, communication, and networking skills, along with excellent relationships with policy makers, both elected and within relevant ministries
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, crisp decision making and strong interpersonal skills are essential
- Able to solicit information, persuade others and shape outcomes
- Proven track record of effectively translating complex policy issues into clear business impact and strategy
- Experience in working in a global environment and leading in the matrix
- Solid understanding of compliance and regulatory topics
- High level of integrity and sense of business partnership
- Strong drive for results
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Precise and accurate working style
- Strategic and tactical agility
- Strong Influence/Persuasion/Negotiation skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Proactive and have strong planning- and organizational skills
- Cross functional leadership ability and a strong collaborator and ability to create stakeholder trust at different levels in the Health Care system
University Degree in preferably a relevant discipline such as political science, law or economics
- Through cutting-edge science and medicine, our company discovers, develops and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Our company is a pioneer in biotechnology and today the Company has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis (MS), has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is at the forefront of neurology research for conditions including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
- Our company also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics.
- Our global organization of nearly 7,000 employees is committed to a single mission: making a meaningful difference in the lives of patients with few or no treatment options.
- Our company was founded in 1978 and today serves patients in nearly 70 countries.
- We aspire to have the greatest impact on patients and science of any biotechnology company in the history of our industry.
- To us, that means creating novel medicines that benefit individuals and society, and bringing new scientific understanding to diseases for which there are no adequate treatments.
- For nearly two decades our company has led in the research and development of new therapies to treat MS, including the most prescribed oral treatment in the world.
- Now our research is driving revolutionary new MS treatments with the goal of reversing or even repairing damage caused by the disease.
- We are now applying our neurological expertise to solve some of most challenging and complex diseases of the brain, including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and ALS.
- As we uncover new insights into human biology, our company is employing cutting-edge technologies to discover potential treatments for rare and genetic disorders.
- Our company is revolutionizing biologic manufacturing, developing the industry’s most advanced plants and processes.
- This expertise is used to produce both original innovative therapies and bio similar that expand patient access to lower-cost medicines.
Our Corporate Citizenship
- The same intellectual discipline and passion that drives our science is reflected in our corporate citizenship, environmental sustainability, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- As a company, we are focused on improving science education and limiting the impact of our company on the environment.
Job Segment: Biotech, Scientific, R&D, CSR, Science, Research, Engineering, Management