- Co-lead the Global Medical Strategy Teams (GMSTs), which are the governance committee teams for GMA and act as a strategic lead between GMA and related trategic partners across company. Coordinate across all Medical Affairs, R&D, and commercial functions to develop and maintain the overall strategic plan, publication strategy plan, research strategy plan (e.g. Phase 4, LCM) and communication (medical education, publications, global congresses).
- Develop and communicate near-term and long-term medical & scientific strategies and oversees related medical & scientific training to Global/Regional Medical Affairs and other functions across company in the assigned therapeutic area(s) (TA).
- Provides medical and scientific input and strategic support for clinical development, life-cycle management and commercialization strategies for the assigned therapeutic area and/or compound teams.
- Act as a Global Scientific lead for assimilation and dissemination of all content developed for the assigned TA and high priority products across all regions.
- Prepares and utilizes the annual operating budget for the assigned TA. Submits and monitors annual budgets completely and in a timely fashion.
- Leads teams of cross-functional partners (including GMA, TDC, Global Business Insights and Strategies, and Global Marketing) to align strategic priorities and knowledge management resources within a given TA.
- Oversee GMA activities at Global/International medical conferences/associations such as Global Advisory Boards and Medical Education Symposium and communication of relevant learnings across company regions.
- Lead and develop global KOL engagement strategy and plans for a given TA in collaboration with regional/LOCs. Oversee the design and maintenance of a Global KOL database and ensure OEC/compliance with company Aggregate spend policies for GMA related spend.
- For specific GSDs, where a business need arises, develops and leads one or more Global Scientific Associate Director(s) (GSADs) that collaborate within a global matrix organization to provide optimal scientific and medical support across all regions for the assigned Therapeutic Areas (TAs). Mentors, coaches and develops GSADs to be able to serve as strong leaders of their respective TAs as well as key strategic partners within their work streams.
- In collaboration with the Global Medical Head (GMH), co-lead the GMST in developing, aligning, prioritizing and communicating near-term and long-term global medical strategies and plans in their assigned therapeutic areas.
- Provide leadership and scientific insight and oversee the development and alignment of GMST deliverables including IISR and phase IV strategies, clinical development/LCM priorities, global publication strategy plans, global medical conference strategies, regional and global advisory boards, and harmonization of global medical communication plans in partnership with Global Medical Head.
- Synthesize LOC/regional input into overall global LCM strategy and plans ensuring bi-directional communication.
- Participate in and/or represent GMA/GMH and provide scientific and/or strategic insights on multiple therapeutic area/product teams. Besides the GMST these committees may include: Global Clinical Development Team (GCDT), Global Product Teams (GPT), Global Brand Teams, Launch Planning Teams, Life Cycle Management teams, research teams, Medical Regulatory and legal (MRL) teams, Global Outcomes Research Teams, Global Publication Teams, Alliance Partner Teams, and any other teams designated as the compounds evolve.
- Oversee the strategic content development and organization of Global advisory boards and GMA-related activities for Global/International Congresses such as medical education initiatives and other KOL engagement activities including the compliance/legal/logistics for a given TA.
- Leads the development and/or updates for the Global Core Slide Deck for the assigned therapeutic area.
- Develops and maintains a broad network of mutually supportive relationships with internal company colleagues (including GMA, TP-USA, EMMA, EUCAN, DoNA, GMA-J, TDC, TPC, and other affiliates) to ensure that MA scientific strategies are integrated with those of company as a whole.
- Regularly brings medical, scientific and market knowledge (e.g., KOL feedback, scientific literature, and medical meetings) to the GMST in the assigned therapeutic area and other cross-functional forums to discuss opportunities and action plans.
- In coordination with Global Marketing, develop and maintain relationships with Global KOLs of Professional Associations and International Conferences to achieve company’s medical/scientific strategic objectives, with internal coordination of activities across regions to optimize company’s interactions.
- Oversight for the identification, planning, coordination and execution of international/global medical conferences including medical information booth presence, symposia and alignment of competitive intelligence and conference reporting and post-meeting communication of relevant emerging data to internal stakeholders.
- Establish and further develop relationships with Global KOLs in a given TA. Lead the planning of Global KOL activities such as Advisory Boards and Medical Education Symposium. Maintain a tracking and planning tool for Global KOLs that meets all compliance and privacy regulations.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- The position requires a doctoral degree (such as MD, Ph.D. or PharmD) in a medical or health science-related specialty.
- At least 8 years of healthcare or related experience (clinical, research, academic or other) following award of said degree, including 6 years of pharmaceutical industry experience (R&D, medical affairs, and/or commercial functions).
- Strong scientific credentials are required in order to communicate with KOLs, Medical Affairs, Research and Development, as well as other key internal and external stakeholders.
- Firm understanding of the key phases, processes, and techniques that are involved in both the pre-clinical and clinical aspects of drug development.
- Previous experience of working in an organization with global priorities and responsibilities
- Demonstrated understanding of relevant connections and integration points between Global Medical Affairs and stakeholders across the Development and Commercial functions.
- Proven track record of matrix, teamwork, leading cross-functional teams, timely decision making and results orientation in meeting objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate and negotiate projects and priorities across functions and/or organizations.
- Demonstrated understanding of legal and regulatory environment of pharmaceutical industry
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Clinical, research, or teaching experience.
- MBA or relevant business degree
- Experience working in a multicultural and/or global business environment
- Moderate understanding of Asian, European and South American cultures, with experience of non-US business approaches and management.
- Knowledge of and experience with Global Medical Affairs processes and tools.
- 40 % of domestic and international travel will be required to attend key internal and relevant professional meetings.