Global Director, Scientific Affairs - United Kingdom
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Our company is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products.
- Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
- Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you.
- To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork.
- As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
- Our goal is to translate breakthrough science into biomedical innovations to help people with cancer worldwide.
- For our Oncology division, helping people fight cancer is our passion, supporting accessibility to our cancer medicines is our commitment, and pursuing research in immuno-oncology is our focus to potentially bring new hope to people with cancer.
- Our company is focused on advancing innovative molecules that harness the power of the immune system to fight cancer.
- Our company is making considerable investments in the field of immuno-oncology and is committed to accelerating every aspect of development and commercialization in order to bring our innovative investigational medicines to patients around the world.
- As a global healthcare company, company’s role is first and foremost to discover and develop breakthrough medicines and vaccines that address unmet medical needs.
- We also recognize that we have a role to play – in partnership with other key stakeholders – in helping to ensure our products are accessible and affordable to those in need.
- Through access to care, partnerships with the community and expansion of our capabilities, we want to help as many people with cancer as possible.
- We are excited to be inviting applications for a newly created, pivotal role as Global Director Scientific Affairs (GDSA) focusing on Europe.
- The GDSA will focus on efforts to maximize meaningful bi-directional scientific exchange by incorporating external scientific input into company Research Laboratory strategy to impact how company discovers, develops, and commercializes new drugs in oncology. He/She will join the relevant company Research Laboratory late- stage Product Development teams in oncology, help oversee a large investigator - initiated studies program in oncology and help to lead a Global Scientific Affairs team, focusing on external scientific congress planning and support.
- As needed, the GDSA will also provide coordination and integration with Target and Discovery Research in oncology.
- Drive a credible and informed scientific dialogue with Global Scientific Leaders in Oncology (responsible for relationships with key global Scientific Leaders across all regions relevant to the Oncology strategic priorities, both US and Ex-US)
- Partner with current GDSAs, and colleagues in our Research Laboratories to execute the Scientific Leadership strategy in alignment with the end-to-end Oncology scientific strategy
- Partner with colleagues in Global Human Health (Medical Affairs and Commercial teams) to ensure alignment with regional and country scientific leader activities
- Collaborate with our Research Laboratory Leadership in Oncology Clinical Research and in Early Development and Discovery to develop the Scientific Leadership strategy
- Establish Areas of Interest, review and approve a large volume of investigator-initiated studies in oncology
- Support and plan our Research Laboratory activities at major scientific congresses, including collection and reporting of competitive intelligence
- Attract, retain and develop any direct report talent
(Primary activities included, but are not limited to):
- Develop individual relationships with global leaders through scientific dialogue pertinent to company’s interest
- Lead/participate in company-created scientific input forums (our Research Laboratory consultants meetings and scientific advisory boards)
- Lead/participate in our Research Laboratory activities at key global scientific congresses (i.e.: ASCO, AACR, ESMO, ASH, etc.)
- Ensure relationships with key professional societies and organisations as well as major academic medical centers
- Ensure existing Scientific Leaders relationship with company scientists are sustained and strengthen via appropriate Scientific Leader engagement plans
- Maintain credibility by being on leading edge on state of science and shifts in clinical and treatment paradigms
- Participate jointly with international and regional directors, medical affairs in regional/country activities to provide global perspective
- Organize and chair a variety of input seeking forums to gain scientific input from external scientists for our Research Laboratories
- Work closely with US based GDSA to co-Chair the company Investigator Initiated Studies Review Committee - responsible for reviewing a large volume of external investigator initiated scientific study protocols encompassing both pre-clinical and clinical work
- Coordinate our Research Laboratory activities at key scientific congresses in Oncology, including collection of competitive intelligence at the congresses
- Help to lead the Global Scientific Affairs Team for Oncology
- Interface regularly and support a large field based team of Research Scientific Directors (RSDs) in oncology both within Europe and internationally
- Attend and actively participate in both Product Development Clinical sub-teams and Publications sub-teams for Oncology
- Coordinate relationships across divisions within the company, including close connectivity with both our Research Laboratory and Medical Affairs colleagues/Commercial organisation
- Maintain personal expertise in the disease area science and shifts in clinical and treatment paradigms
- Utilize the company Talent Management and Compensation processes to appropriately assess direct report performance (if applicable), ensure development and equitably recognize and reward talent.
- In order to succeed in this pivotal role, candidates should possess the following qualifications/experience
- Medical experience (ideally 10 or more years) with subspecialty training in oncology (solid tumour experience ideal such as Lung, Head & Neck, Melanoma, Gastrointestinal, Bladder, Renal)
- Immuno-oncology expertise specifically would be highly advantageous
- Publications in Oncology with international recognition is desirable.
- Experience influencing research and development in Oncology.
- Must be able to work in a complex organisation environment and have ability to effectively operate in a team-oriented structure.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (written as well as oral), results-oriented project management, facilitation and consultative skills to influence decision making are require
- Experience managing interactions with senior leaders – both internally and externally
- Medical Affairs or Scientific Affairs experience within the Biotech or Pharmaceutical industry would be highly advantageous
- Our employees are the key to our company’s success.
- We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program.
- Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.