Full-time PhD student in Host-microorganism interaction research - Belgium
- Contract: 1 year contract, renewable (max. 4 years). -
- Degree: A Master of Science degree, or equivalent, with a strong background in immunology, microbiology and host-pathogen interactions is required.
- Occupancy rate: 100%. -
- Vacancy type: Academic Assisting Staff.
- Our university has a vacancy for a position of junior assistant.
- It concerns a temporary full-time position for a renewable period of max. 4 years.
- You hold or expect to hold by September 2017 a Master of Science degree, or equivalent, with a strong background in immunology, microbiology and host-pathogen interactions;
- You have applied knowledge in bioinformatics and are willing to deepen your knowledge in this field;
- You have extensive practical laboratory experience in immunology and microbiology and basic experience in biochemistry and molecular biology;
- You are willing to work with experimental animal models, will obtain the necessary permits do work independently in this field, and are dedicated to respect all ethical requirements and standards that are part of this work;
- You are highly motivated to conduct scientific research in an independent manner as part of obtaining a PhD degree;
- You have a strong self-learning ability and a creative and inquisitive attitude;
- You have an excellent academic track record, international education experience, an excellent command of English (a minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT test), and good academic writing and presentation skills.
- You have strong didactic and communicative skills and a large interest in providing and supporting academic education.
- You design and perform high-quality scientific research related to the interaction between the immune system and microbial (pathogenic) organisms or their components. The PhD will focus on inflammatory responses and immunological memory and include the transcriptomic analysis of key immunomodulatory and effector cells.
- Bioinformatics data analysis will be key to the completion of this PhD. Knowledge of biochemical pathways that govern host-pathogen interactions is a prerequisite to the start of this PhD;
- You publish your research results in peer-reviewed international journals and actively participates in (inter)national conferences;
- You assist your supervisor in teaching undergraduate courses at our University Global Campus.
- Your task in education support will be required for courses in Animal Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Biological Analysis, Genetics, Medical biotechnology and Plant Biotechnology.
- Our University has the ambition to organize a first-rate, truly European education in Asia and to develop excellent research in the fields of Molecular biotechnology, Environmental and Food technology.
- However, free student accommodation and a yearly travel budget are foreseen. We are an equal opportunities employer.
- This position allows promising scientists to carry out research for a period of 4 years.