Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Reporting to the Supervisory Forensic Chemist, the Forensic Chemist is responsible for the direct level of professional forensic science analysis at Merck’s Forensic Services Laboratory in West Point, PA. The Forensic Chemist will provide the necessary level of forensic capacity and capability to identify, characterize, and report on suspected counterfeit and other illicit Merck products in a manner consistent with the Product Integrity mission and in compliance with associated scientific and forensic standards.
The successful candidate must have a proven capability to excel in a collaborative, diverse, complex environment and be able to support time sensitive workflows on a global scale.
Provide expert level of forensic analysis on the testing of suspected counterfeit, diverted, tampered, and other illicit Merck products.
- Evaluate evidence submitted to the Forensic Services Laboratory to provide the best professional scientific examinations.
- Support the development of new analytical methods for counterfeit drug detection and characterization, including research and validation of new or existing techniques, procedures, methods, and instruments used in the laboratory.
- Participate in the quality management system and in the quality assurance evaluations through internal and external quality system audits; competency and proficiency testing; and facilitate in the improvement of the laboratory systems.
- Maintain and evaluate laboratory procedures, quality standards, and application of best practices to assess system enhancements and incorporate industry advances.
- Maintain internal and external cooperative working relationships through effective written and oral communication.
- Maintain and support evidentiary admissibility standards.
- Compile statistical data and maintain records; write scientific reports; and present and interpret analytical results.
- Testify in court as a subject matter expert witness regarding laboratory operations, physical evidence, forensic results, scientific analysis, and case knowledge. Understand the admissibility complexities of scientific evidence and providing expert testimony.
- Coordinate and collaborate with investigators, law enforcement agencies, and prosecutors.
- Serve as a scientific and technical subject matter expert on forensic testing for the detection, identification, and characterization of illicit Merck products.
Laboratory Management and Organizational Leadership
- Consult with the Laboratory Supervisor to assess instruments, equipment, and tools are appropriately well maintained and operational to allow for maximum efficiency and protection from evidence contamination. Document proper operation, calibration, and maintenance of instruments, equipment and tools.
- Consult with the Laboratory Supervisor regarding the operation of the Forensic Services Laboratory; ensuring the examination, analysis, and interpretation of physical evidence meets the appropriate standards in the scientific investigation of pharmaceutical crimes.
- Consult with the Laboratory Director and Laboratory supervisor to develop short and long term planning strategies based on forensic standards and best scientific practices.
- Develop leadership core competencies.
- Model leadership behaviors within GSAG and in the larger Merck organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in forensic science, chemistry, or related scientific field plus 2 years of relevant laboratory experience -OR- a completion of a graduate degree in a relevant scientific field.
- Demonstrates an expert understanding of the principles and practices, applications, concepts, theories, and limitations of methods associated with forensic science and analytical counterfeit drug detection.
- Able to provide subject matter expert witness testimony based on scientific analysis.
- Demonstrates an expert ability to plan, direct, organize, and coordinate projects. Makes effective decisions or recommendations to resolve and mediate conflicts. Initiates and follows through on projects.
- Demonstrates an ability to identify and analyze problems, identify and evaluate alternative solutions, make decisions or recommendations, resolve problems, and consult with appropriate staff and resources as needed, based on knowledge, experience, and expertise.
- Demonstrated experience interacting with and supporting senior leadership.
- Ability to champion new ideas or positions to meet key laboratory goals and initiatives.
- Strong commitment to safety and compliance requirements and laboratory accreditation standards.
- Must possess and demonstrate strong oral and written communication, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in highly collaborative and matrixed environment.
- Must be innovative, independent, and able to manage an aggressive workload in a high performing environment.
- Pass a background investigation, including drug screening, for the handling of controlled substances.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Advanced degree (MS, PhD) preferred.
- Experience in Forensic Sciences
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical manufacturing and distribution operations (GxP,etc) and counterfeit drug detection and investigations
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Quality Lab Related
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Quality Control
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-West Point
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 3
Hazardous Materials: Chemicals common to a forensic chemistry lab.
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Chemist, Pharmaceutical, Scientist, Laboratory, Science, Research