Financial Lead Accountant- Accounting to Reporting - Netherlands
- Our company is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies and together with our customers, we are driven to make healthcare better.
- The Company offers a diverse array of innovative medical technologies, including reconstructive, medical and surgical, and neurotechnology and spine products to help people lead more active and more satisfying lives.
- Our products and services are available in over 100 countries.
- All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
- Our company is an EO employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability.
- The mission of the Senior Accountant is to ensure the accuracy, reliability and integrity of the company’s books and records and financial reports.
- Europe Finance will be the preferred business partner to support company’s mission, vision and promise in our company.
- This will require Finance to focus on the basics of providing financial services and support, deliver value added finance service and support to our company.
- It is Finance’s responsibility to assist the business in taking unnecessary costs out of its healthcare delivery system, achieve better economies of scale in the utilization of resources and leverage activities across functions and geographies to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Finance will be a best in class function, comprised of ethical, talented and engaged people, with efficient processes and effective controls that support our functions and customers.
- This position will provide the financial oversight and local (commercial) knowledge to support the business in the country, and that of the finance function across Europe.
- This includes ensuring the basics are in place and operational for maintaining accurate and adequate books and records in accordance with local and US generally accepted accounting principles, actual reporting as necessary for the business, adhere an effective system of internal controls and ensure compliance with company policies and procedures and any applicable laws and regulations.
Key Activities & Accountabilities
- The Senior Accountant performs advanced-level responsibilities as required to support the needs of the business.
- These responsibilities include but are not limited to the following. (Note that responsibilities may be added or removed as deemed necessary)
Accounting and Reporting
- Maintains a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Ensures all transactions are in compliance with US and local GAAP and are posted in a timely manner
- Ensures accounts are properly reconciled and properly documented on a timely basis
- Maintains documentation to support account balances in a manner that facilitates the efficient review and audit of books and records
- Ensures all financial transactions are properly recorded with sufficient documentation to support the business purpose of the transactions
- Supports month-end processes to ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close
- Provides support as necessary to facilitate forecasting and budget processes
- Responds to inquiries regarding accounting requests
- Supports the audit process and provides documents as necessary to facilitate the completion of audit requests
Month-end and Year-end Close
- Prepares financial reports to satisfy Division and Corporate reporting requirements
- Ensures financial information is reviewed to identify any issues that would impact the accuracy and reliability of financial information presented
- Ensures fixed asset expenditures are supported by an approved CER with sufficient detail to support the business
- Ensures fixed assets are properly accounted for and depreciated in accordance with Corporate policy
- Ensures fixed assets are properly tracked through regular asset verification processes
- Manage the approval and accounting for the retirement and disposition of fixed assets
- Ensures accounting entries are posted in a timely manner to ensure account balances are properly stated
- Performs analysis and supports the accounting requirements for instrumentation, demo and samples
- Ensures the consistent and effective analysis of UPI and ensures entries are properly posted
- Ensures account balances and entries are properly communicated to ensure local entries will be booked accurately and in a timely manner
- Ensures inventory costs are properly reflected in the balance sheet
VAT and Intrastat Accounting
- Ensures VAT and intrastat transactions are properly accounted for and recorded
- Ensure proper rates are applied to all products
- Responsible for ensuring that Corporate policies concerning compliance and Health Care Professionals (HCPs) are adhered to
- Develop and review our internal processes to ensure they are Sarbanes-Oxley compliant
- Ensure accounting books and records comply with Corporate accounting policies, Sarbanes Oxley, US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and local equivalent laws
- Preparation of weekly cashflow forecast for submission to Corporate.
- Assist with the preparation of the Foreign Exchange Exposure Report to determine the level of hedges required
Other Essential Duties
The following outlines additional duties of the Senior Accountant that ensures the financial accounting and reporting function is meeting and exceeding the needs of the business.
These duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Supports processes related to the identification and evaluation of the organization’s risk areas and provides significant input to the development annual business plans
- Pursues professional development opportunities, including external and internal training and professional association memberships, and shares information gained with co-workers.
- Represents the function on organizational project teams, at management and board meetings, and with external organizations
- Performs related work as assigned by management
- A recognized post graduate financial qualification (MBA (preferable) eg Masters in Business, Institute of Chartered Accountants, Certified Practicing Accountant, Certified Management Accountant
- Fluent spoken and written English. Any other European language is a plus
- Professional certification in accounting or progress toward completion
- Fluent in English and Dutch or English and German
- Familiar with USGAAP and Sarbanes Oxley Act
- Fiscal knowledge
- Familiar with Oracle and Hyperion (preferable)
Minimum experience to 3 years in an Accountant or equivalent position in a multinational (preferably American) or an auditing company (one of the big four).
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to work with peers and management to achieve objectives
- High level of honesty, integrity, commitment and responsibility
- Accustomed to working under pressure and with deadlines
- Able to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization
- Able to resolve problems and conflicts and a professional and tactful manner
- Able to identify and work with management to innovative solutions to meet business requirements