Field Specialist, Supplier Development & Performance Management Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its 125-year legacy. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Responsible for serving as a primary point of contact for high risk and escalated suppliers for Merck / MSD sites. Will function within one of five categories (i.e. primary packaging, secondary packaging, glass, product contact, or raw materials). Will provide cross-category support to support surges in workload.
Responsible for implementing procedures and best practices supporting Merck's SD&PM organization, under the direction of the SD&PM Associate Director. The incumbent will exercise leadership in monitoring and maintaining supplier compliance with worldwide regulatory requirements, current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs), MMD Quality Manual and Quality Management Systems, and pertinent legal and / or business contract requirements. Key responsibilities include leading supplier deviation investigations, upskilling suppliers for Quality, Compliance and Regulatory improvements, and interfacing with Merck / MSD sites. The incumbent will assist the SD&PM Associate Director in driving completion of Supplier Improvement Plans and interfacing with Merck / MSD site Operations, Quality, Planning, Global Procurement and Global Technology Operations colleagues.
The incumbent will possess Analytical, Scientific, Technical, Manufacturing, and / or Quality experience in order to effectively administer and control Quality and Technical programs and projects needed to manage suppliers, under the direction of the SD&PM Associate Director.
Primary Roles include, but are not limited to:
- Travels up to 50% of the time, to and from supplier sites and Merck / MSD sites within the region.
- Serves as a primary point of contact to Merck / MSD sites and suppliers in the region.
- Assigned to either the Glass, Primary Packaging, Secondary Packaging, Product Contact, or Raw Materials categories, but will provide cross-over support to all of the categories, as needed.
- Responsible for coordination, oversight and communication on matters related to the cGMP status with the suppliers. Must understand worldwide regulatory requirements and current Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Acts as a liaison between suppliers and internal Merck / MSD site personnel.
- Travels to and from supplier locations to resolve Manufacturing, Quality, Technical and supply issues and investigations, as well as facilitates overall Quality improvements to proactively prevent supplier issues. Utilizes enhanced problem-solving skills to determine true root cause and development of irreversible corrective actions.
- Develops and executes Supplier Improvement Plans (SIPs) for Constant Care suppliers.
- Coordinates, communicates and oversees general technical matters pertaining to suppliers, including understanding and optimizing component / material usage and upskilling suppliers to provide improved materials and services.
- Provides efficient and effective solutions and Corrective Actions / Preventative Actions (CAPAs) to suppliers and / or site issue resolution, including Deviation Management, response to supplier audit issues, and customer complaints.
- Provides supplier investigation ownership using tools such as the Supplier Escalation Report (SER) and communicates results in weekly Tier 5 meetings.
- Provides technical inputs, review, and execution of Quality Agreements.
- Tracks and monitors supplier operational and quality performance. Escalates issues to the SD&PM Quality Associate Directors and site personnel.
- Assists in development and delivery of supplier metrics and scorecards.
- Participates in periodic business review meetings with suppliers.
- Works from a Merck / MSD site and provides SD&PM support to the Merck / MSD site.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- BS/BA degree in Engineering, Science or Business
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Quality, Technical, Operations, or related Business Operations working with products or processes
- Possesses the following:
- Demonstrated Quality, Technical and / or Manufacturing experience in the areas of chemical, pharmaceutical and / or vaccine manufacturing or packaging, or supplier management
- Experience conducting technical investigations
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Knowledge and application of the Merck Leadership Behaviors
- Ability to develop and / or improve commercial relationships
- Ability to work within a matrix organization and leverage expertise from other Merck functions and departments
- Proven self-starter
- Knowledge of cGMPs, technical writing, data management, collection, and analysis
- Possesses excellent interpersonal, inclusion, and communication skills
- Appreciates and respects diversity, cultures, and norms
- Facilitates business negotiations in a professional manner
- Works independently with all levels of the organization, and has demonstrated the following skills:
- Rapid / Disciplined decisions
- Acts with courage and candor
- Drives results
- Escalation of issues / concerns to management, as appropriate
- Ability to Prioritize, Align and Simplify
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Sigma Black Belt, Green Belt or Yellow Belt certification is preferred
- Product Contact Component experience
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Supplier Dev & Perf Mgmt
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Supplier Dev & Perf
Primary Location: NA-US-NC-Durham
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station West, NA-US-PA-West Point, NA-US-NC-Wilson, NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth, NA-US-VA-Elkton
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Durham
Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh
Job Segment: Pharmaceutical, Law, Data Management, Animal Health, Science, Legal, Data, Veterinary, Customer Service